Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2019 8:16 am  #1

AIS and TWS, WTD

HI,

looking into the AIS options (pan list) a user can select TWD and TWS. Looking into the AIS definition CLASS B I can not find a definition for sending wind data. It would be great to have such information from other boats to look into the current wind situation around the actual position. Looking into the manual for the "WX to GRIB" function AIS is mention as data source.

Thank you in advance to help me further.  

6/17/2019 12:47 pm  #2

Re: AIS and TWS, WTD

Peter, I think you may be confused.  AIS does not send variables like that from other boats.  The only variables it can send by definition are those that can be inferred from changes to position i.e. calculated external to the boat.

6/17/2019 1:34 pm  #3

AIS does have the ability to send Meteorological and hydrological data in message 8.

I don't know many ships etc support it though.

6/25/2019 1:17 pm  #4

Thank you for your answers and hints. After screening 30k AIS records (in the area of Greece) I did not find any message type 8. Could you please explain from which type of data source TWS and TWD will be filled in the AIS pan list.   

6/25/2019 1:19 pm  #5

Mostly AIS meteorological reports. I have seen them from fixed installations.

Board footera