Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2019 11:30 am  #1

Sending Target BSP, Polar BSP and other from expedition to B&G H3000

Hi,

I can't figure out how to make some probably easy things working.
How do I make Expedition to send Polar BSP and Target BSP to my B&G H3000 displays?
I do not have the Performance processor.

Regards David Frick

6/12/2019 3:35 pm  #2

Re: Sending Target BSP, Polar BSP and other from expedition to B&G H3000

For Hercules and performance, the solution is to use the external channels.

For Hydra, if you select Hydra 3000 as the instrument type in Exp, they will be sent automatically - as long as you have polars loaded etc. I am not sure all H3000 firmware versions supported this though. Someone else may be able to comment.

6/13/2019 10:55 am  #3

How are you connecting to the H3k system?

6/13/2019 2:38 pm  #4

TomH wrote:

How are you connecting to the H3k system?

I'm using a RS232 cable with USB converter (the green connector into the B&G CPU), same as the H-Link cable. It used to be the yellow connector with USB cable, but since it only supported 32 bit windows I got the new cable so I could use 64 Bit windows. Never tried with the yellow cable and 32 bit computer.

I also tried to choose B&G H3000/H5000 Hydra in expedition, but did not get any connection. It only works if i choose B&G H3000/H5000 H-Link for the instruments.

6/13/2019 3:05 pm  #5

That is all good news as it implies you have a Hercules or Performance level processor.

Probably what you want to do is upload the polars into the processor from Expedition.

The first step is to click the Settings button on the connection page. After that, it should be obvious, but you can find more information in the Exp help.

6/13/2019 3:32 pm  #6

Nick wrote:

That is all good news as it implies you have a Hercules or Performance level processor.

Probably what you want to do is upload the polars into the processor from Expedition.

The first step is to click the Settings button on the connection page. After that, it should be obvious, but you can find more information in the Exp help.

It's an Hydra Processor with the H-Link RS232 cable retrofitted, so can't load the polars into the processor. But I think I know the problem now, with the H-link cable expedition identifies the cpu as a Hercules/performance CPU and therefore do not send those signals since normally they are loaded in the CPU. So i probably need to reinstall the original Hydra USB cable and get myself a 32 bit computer to get this to work since there is no function to use the H-link for the Hydra processor in Expedition yet.

6/13/2019 5:35 pm  #7

That doesn't make sense (to me anyway). If it is Hydra, then you shouldn't be getting HLink data.

There is functionally no difference between the ports on the right and left of the H3000. The USB one just has a USB-RS232 adaptor inside the H3000. The port on the right requires a user supplied RS232-USB adaptor.

Which makes me wonder if the switch inside the H3000 has been changed to receive data from the RS232 port. 

6/14/2019 5:28 am  #8

Nick wrote:

That doesn't make sense (to me anyway). If it is Hydra, then you shouldn't be getting HLink data.

There is functionally no difference between the ports on the right and left of the H3000. The USB one just has a USB-RS232 adaptor inside the H3000. The port on the right requires a user supplied RS232-USB adaptor.

Which makes me wonder if the switch inside the H3000 has been changed to receive data from the RS232 port. 

You are right it doesn't make sense. I'm sorry but I had the wrong information, It's an Hercules CPU (not Performance). Tried to upload the polars, get ok in Expedition but still nothing shows up in the instruments. When I reconnect to the H3000 the polar isn't stored. The only info I get in the display sent from expedition is Bearing To Waypoint, nothing else. Under external it's still empty in the H3000 (looked everywhere in the other menus)

The switch inside the H3000 was moved when the RS232 cable was installed.

6/14/2019 9:10 am  #9

My notes and recollection concerning the H3000 emphasize two "operating modes" each with a different Serial and Network port settings in Expedition and each with a different Communications Port Configuration setting in the H3000 CPU.

Polar data can be sent to the CPU from Expedition only if the "Communication Port Configuration" in the CPU is set to "1-0-2" (H-Link). If you are sending Bearing To Waypoint data to the CPU then you must necessarily be using "1-5-2" (NMEA) as that configuration because that BRW cannot be sent in the H-Link mode.

If I am not mistaken then the H3000 Communication Port Configuration setting is accessed through this path: CALIBRATION / OTHER CALIBRATION / MISC / COMM CONFIG.

A note: after you have set the configuration it may be necessary to shut down the B&G and repower it to insure that the new Communication Port Configuration has been "accepted" by the CPU.

After you have transferred the polars then it will be necessary to reset the Communications Port Configuration to "1-0-2" (NMEA) in order to transfer "real time" BRW data again.     

I hope this helps and I apologize if this is something that you have already handled and I did not discern it in the thread.   

6/14/2019 2:46 pm  #10

Yes, you can either have NMEA or HLink. In this case it is correct.

Unfortunately, I don't have any insights as to why the H3 isn't storing the polar.

Board footera