Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2019 9:10 pm  #1

Route - ETA shows current time for all waypoints

Route ETA are showing current time for each waypoint I have in active route.  
I am using this with only GPS SOG and COG, no wind data. (Delivery)
Is there a way to show ETA with only this information as input?

5/12/2019 10:23 pm  #2

Re: Route - ETA shows current time for all waypoints

It is a predicted time based on the wind, your polars etc so you do need wind.

5/12/2019 11:15 pm  #3

Feature request?   Would be a nice to have, for a delivery or in motoring mode to give estimated times.
Cheers

5/13/2019 2:49 am  #4

Matt,
You can do pretty much what you want already.
Use todays wind (You're going to ignore it anyway)
For departure time use todays tide equivalent to the tide you want to leave on (If you want to leave at 0600 on July 1st; see what that tide is, say 1 hour before high, and find that tide for today and set that as your departure time)
Then set your Opt Advanced/Minimum sailing speed highte than your highest polar speed (this will assure you always motor)
You'll get an all motor estimate with waypoints and if you enter Opt Advanced/Fuel rate, you'll get how much fuel you'll need in liters.
We do it for deliveries and it works pretty good!
Cheers,
Ernie

5/13/2019 2:51 am  #5

"highte" should be "higher"   sorry

5/14/2019 3:44 pm  #6

Ernie M wrote:

Matt,
You can do pretty much what you want already.
Use todays wind (You're going to ignore it anyway)
For departure time use todays tide equivalent to the tide you want to leave on (If you want to leave at 0600 on July 1st; see what that tide is, say 1 hour before high, and find that tide for today and set that as your departure time)
Then set your Opt Advanced/Minimum sailing speed highte than your highest polar speed (this will assure you always motor)
You'll get an all motor estimate with waypoints and if you enter Opt Advanced/Fuel rate, you'll get how much fuel you'll need in liters.
We do it for deliveries and it works pretty good!
Cheers,
Ernie

Hi thanks, yes this works with Optimal tooltip, but I was hoping could get ETA in "Route" window to update for marks.   I export Optimal route as .gpx, and set active but route ETA for each waypoint is still current time. 
Unless II am missing something?

Thanks

5/15/2019 3:05 am  #7

Matt,
After you run an optimization in the Optimal Tab/Results you will see in the Summary column a list of turning points (some will be Marks) with their 'times' based on the departure time you set 

This is hypothetical based on the various data, polars, motoring speed, etc, that you entered, telling you the best path to take with the conditions you entered.

If you save the Result of the Optimized Route using Optimal Tab/Settings/Save Results in Mark Database,
then export it as a GPX file, you are changing it from a hypothetical situation to a set of waypoints that can be used as a Route anytime and in any conditions.  Once you plug that Route into you chartplotter, PC, or Quatix watch it will give you the ETA for those points in real time based on real speed and data the device is seeing.

If  you want to see how your hypothetical compares to your real result on delivery day; you can go to Optimal tab/Results/Summary/-> .csv  saving your estimated data into a spread sheet to compare with your real results as you arrive at your waypoints in the real world. 

Does that make sense and answer your question?

Cheers,
Ernie

5/15/2019 4:29 am  #8

Hi,

I did export the optimal route as a .gpx , then imported as .gpx , set as active route.
However for me, with gps as only nmea input, on the route tab, the eta is still current time.   I can view predicted times in optimal > results,  but I wanted to see in the route tab

5/15/2019 4:58 am  #9

Mattt,
I think I'm missing something...
Why would you export the route then import it??? To the same PC?

Do you know about Optimal tab/Setting/Opt routing/Save results in mark database  ?

On the Mark side it does capture the time from your Opt route but the Route is also on the Route side of the Marks tab/edit marks window.

I'm in the US now if you are too PM me a phone #
Ernie

5/15/2019 5:51 am  #10

Yes import to same pc or use the save to marks - either way when set that optimised route active, and from window -> route tab, the waypoints are not showing a valid ETA - as I have no wind data input.   I am using the laptop with expedition as the primary chart plotter as well, and as vessel am on has no wind instruments, only have COG/SOG to plan and play with.

Is more for rest of crew to easily view the ETA easily when on watch, as opposed to having to manually calculate or use tooltip on the optimal route to get an eta.   For now I am just moving mouse to waypoint and get distance/time from status bar.

Board footera