Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2019 8:56 am  #1

ENC charts - keep scale when scrolling into a new chart area

I’m not totally sure if this would be a “new” feature, but using quilt with multiple ENC charts at different scales, I’m looking for a feature to have the next chart loaded at the same “displayed scale” as the one I just looked at, rather than Expedition switching to the scale of the new chart.

As it is now, all charts load in 1x1: 10000 (or whatever the scale is for the new chart). In practical this throws me in an out of the chart zoom every time you scroll in to a new chart area.

Could there be an option added to “keep zoomed scale”? Typically I don’t necessarily want to zoom in or out only because I scroll in to a new chart area even if a different scale is avalible.

Coming from a chart displayed at 1x1:20000 to a new 1:10000 chart would show the new chart as 1/2x10000 instead of switching to 1x1:10000. Keeping the displayed zoom constant.

//Fredrik

4/01/2019 11:00 am  #2

Re: ENC charts - keep scale when scrolling into a new chart area

I will have a think about it, but it might not be in the near future though as the Exp development schedule is quite full just now.

I think there was a requirement to show at 1:1 scale in the S-52 specification, at least initially.

4/01/2019 12:07 pm  #3

Thanks Nick! I think ENCs are a super performance boost compared to C-map, if it could be done I’d be very happy :-) but I would of course understand if it’s ”against the rules” I do have other apps (the one that I e-mailed you) that does exactly this (loading new charts without changing the displayed zoom) but I have no idea if it’s okay or nor.

Thanks!

4/02/2019 4:24 am  #4

+1 for the feature that Fredrik proposes. 

I'm not familiar with the IHO standards but just browsed through S-52 and identified paragraphs that may be applicable to the display requirements.  I'm sure Nick has a better working knowledge of these standards and may be able to find others that apply in the transition between charts at the boundary.

3.1.7 ENC scale; Graphical Index of ENCs by Navigational Purpose; Limit of HO data 
.1 ENC scale.
.2 Automatic overscale at a scale boundary.
.3 Graphical Index of ENCs by Navigational Purpose. 

5/08/2019 2:39 pm  #5

Any chance we can see an update on this ENC zooming? I've loaded multiple layers of different scaled charts to get get a better overview, however with autochart, it always loads the most zoomed in chart avalible when scrolling. So even if I've zoomed out to one of my overview charts, when scrolling to the next chart area, suddenly expedition feels my best option would be my most zoomed in chart and takes me in to a much more detailed view, even if I have charts of the same resolution as the area I came from avalibe for the new area. Wouldn't the better option be to load the most similar scale avalible until I actually zoomed to see more details at for example my destination?

5/08/2019 2:48 pm  #6

Not yet sorry. I haven't had a chance to think about it.

Keep reminding me ...

5/09/2019 1:58 pm  #7

There are also a couple of ramifications that need thinking about.

Exp used to do this with C-Map, but that turned into a problem if the C-Map level was missing data. This was one of the holes that lined up for Vestas and I've seen several other similar chart issues.

2/10/2020 5:44 am  #8

Nick wrote:

Not yet sorry. I haven't had a chance to think about it.

Keep reminding me ...

Hi annd sorry for keep bringing this up, but you asked me to keep reminding you =)
I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for a way to check “keep displayed zoom level” for ENCs, as all charts are now loaded in 1:1, I end up being tossed in and out in different charts, this also sends me to totally different areas, making scrolling a lot of work trying to find the right course.

I think an option to load the new chart with the same “displayed zoom” (keeping 1nm to the same distance on the screen) would be super helpful and make scrolling so much easier.

With that said I must say the C-map performance is so much better now with the new version, great work!

Board footera