Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2019 11:35 am  #1

Iridium Pilot, optimizer, xgate integration to Expedition

Any body who has this configuration? Can you share Expedition configuration settings? Thanks 

4/10/2019 11:01 am  #2

Re: Iridium Pilot, optimizer, xgate integration to Expedition

Nick,
the Iridium Pilot is broadband 128Kb/sec . It's interfaced with the "Optimizer" with "XGate". I'm not talking about Iridium Go. I'm looking for setup parameter for "Expedition". Via the individual IP's I have no trouble communication wireless (WIFI) from the laptop to either optimizer or Iridium Pilot. GMN advises to use Safari to access the internet. No problem either. I'm trying to import weather grip files to Expedition but keep getting a error message. Super frustrating.
May be a screen shot from the internet setup screen? Again, anybody out there who is using this hardware configuration?   

4/10/2019 12:32 pm  #3

Umewes
We had a Sailor FBB 150  and had similar frustrations, it had an optimizer but not from GMN.
We tried running an Ethernet cable straight from the PC to the FBB and it worked so well we never went back to the optimizer!  It might at least help isolate the problem.
Good luck,
Ernie

4/10/2019 1:40 pm  #4

Sorry - I was answering another question about Go at the time and the xgate part got me.
You don't need Xgate to use the optimiser form Exp.
The actual connection settings might be more of a question for GMN though

4/12/2019 3:16 am  #5

Thanks for the feed back everybody.

5/01/2019 4:42 am  #6

Just want to report back that it's working! A very sweet and fast connection. Optimizer and Xgate are GMN products, so you must use the GMN option instead of Nooa or Saildocs.

6/18/2019 11:31 am  #7

umewes, what benefit did you get with Xgate for this Expedition integration with the Optimizer?

I want to setup an Iridium handheld with the Optimizer so I can use Expeditions integrated one click data pull through but I am getting many mixed inputs on the use of Xgate. As I understand Xgate it is used for email, social media etc. Or am I missing something essential?
Xgate can be a good stand alone maybe if one must resort back to emails?

6/19/2019 4:51 am  #8

The Optimizer is beneficial when connecting to the internet. It can prevent automatic updates, advertising and other things your Windows browser likes to do, thus saving data. Xgate features compression software which again will save on data usage. For importing GRIB files to Expedition, a sat phone could be used just as a hotspot.

6/19/2019 11:18 am  #9

We recently had similar issues connecting sat phone (Globalstar) with report optimizer and getting Gribs.  This was working fine before I upgraded exp to 10.18....spent days sorting out. 

We finally figured out the answer. We used XGate connection (requires subscription) and wirelessly connected to the red port optimizer...and it worked for Annapolis to Newport race for Gribs.  Our preference would be to direct connect hardcode this and not use xgate going forward as it seems there might be some hard coded network settings inside expedition.

Happy to continue this dialog as we ant get it then sat phone to direct connected to red port within expedition.....again this was all working before we upgraded the expedition....

6/19/2019 1:17 pm  #10

This is a useful dialogue about satphone data management, so keen to hear other solutions.  I had no end of trouble getting XGate to work, and eventually gave up.  So I now use a combination of:
a) Windows 10 set to Metered Connection, plus ensuring Windows Update is run the night before a race, plus a couple of laptop restarts;
b) Glasswire;
c) Opera browser, which seems to be the skinniest and least likely to add stuff as does Chrome or Edge.
Other solutions?

Board footera