Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2019 6:24 am  #1

C-Map 4D

I thought in the past I was able to open a 2D version of a 4D C-Map Chart when using the non 4D version of Expedition.  Non 4D seems to run a bit faster without all of that extra data so it is what I normally use for routing etc..
I did however drill down expecting to have chart data but that was not to be the case.
So does a 4D C-Map also contain a 2D chart (so to speak) that will work in the non 4D version of Expedition.
Is this a question more for C-Map?

hmm,  I closed Expedition, Opened 4D to verify I had the chart I thought I did.  Switched back and now I don't seem to have that issue.  Maybe I just imagined I did.

Last edited by unplugged (1/08/2019 6:42 am)

1/10/2019 7:45 am  #2

Re: C-Map 4D

Skipper who asked me to troubleshoot this issue is still reporting he can't access the C-Maps he was able to prior to upgrading to 10.9.18.  He only upgraded the non-4D version.  In case that matters.  He is at sea now enroute to St Helena.  Bandwidth to download new version probably won't be available until maybe they make it to Columbia.  I can no longer reproduce the issue nor am I even positive I was able to at all.  
Prior to upgrade I suspect he was using the version that was available a year ago.  Was there any database change as part of the core upgrade that may make upgrading the 4D version mandatory to view charts in non-4D version ?  Just a thought.

1/31/2019 2:16 pm  #3

The non-4D version of Exp can't use any of the 4D charts.

So, if he is using the non-4D Exp and has 4D charts … that won't work.

1/31/2019 7:18 pm  #4

I am not sure that is correct.
I have only purchased 4D charts.
When I open 4D version this is what I see under "My Charts"
Usa East Coast And Bahamas
  NA-D022
  Release: 22/04/2017
  Programmed: 03/11/2017
  Purchased
  4D
  Obsolete Cartridge
  Categories:
    Standard land VAD Free Unlocked
    Standard marine VAD Free Unlocked
    ActiveCaptain VAD Free Unlocked
    High Res Fishing Bathymetry Paid Locked
    Sport Fishing Data Paid Locked

When I switch to the non-4d Version of Expedition,  I have charts for all of the east coast.

2/05/2019 4:24 am  #5

I'm not sure that you are looking at the same charts - NT+ charts require the NT+/PC planner application, and they are stored in different directories. I have never been able to see 4D based charts in the NT+ version.

This also begs the question, why are you buying charts for the US east coast from CMAP when better charts are available for free? 

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/ENCs/ENCs.shtml

unplugged wrote:

I am not sure that is correct.
I have only purchased 4D charts.
When I open 4D version this is what I see under "My Charts"
Usa East Coast And Bahamas
  NA-D022
  Release: 22/04/2017
  Programmed: 03/11/2017
  Purchased
  4D
  Obsolete Cartridge
  Categories:
    Standard land VAD Free Unlocked
    Standard marine VAD Free Unlocked
    ActiveCaptain VAD Free Unlocked
    High Res Fishing Bathymetry Paid Locked
    Sport Fishing Data Paid Locked

When I switch to the non-4d Version of Expedition,  I have charts for all of the east coast.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Board footera