Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2018 4:10 pm  #1

wearing your phone

i have played around a bit with ways to get my phone on my forearm, but haven't come up with anything that i like.
I have also tried some of the straps you can buy - people use them in the gym - but I don't really like any of the ones i have seen.
what are people doing?
does anyone have a good solution they would like to share?

8/14/2018 7:44 pm  #2

Re: wearing your phone

Back in the day, we had Windows CE wrist computers. They were nice with our younger eyes, but the world has moved on so I don't know what people do now for that niche. Unfortunately, Microsoft has been terrible at long term product planning and support over the years.

The funny thing is just about all the gliding movement still uses Windows CE for flight computers.

8/14/2018 10:40 pm  #3

I have played with a Lifeproof case for the iPhone - you can get a mounting strap that sticks to the case OK, but found it bulky, awkward and not adding anything to a tablet.

8/15/2018 2:19 am  #4

I use a cheap jogging strap for my iPhone 7plus (already waterproof -- just need a way to hold it on my forearm). Is good for starts and reference while underway.

On the rail I prefer an iPad where I can easily use Remote Desktop + Ventus.

8/15/2018 2:22 am  #5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M18VWIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works well enough over foulies. Not quite as good on a bare arm but still works.

8/20/2018 5:04 pm  #6

sparky wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M18VWIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works well enough over foulies. Not quite as good on a bare arm but still works.

That's like the gym things i mentioned - they don't stay in place for me.., and I don't want the phone under a vinyl layer - I use a lifeproof case, and that is enough.

8/21/2018 12:22 am  #7

I use a LifeProof case and arm band along with a sweat band to keep it from slipping down my forearm.

12/09/2018 3:14 am  #8

4/19/2020 12:00 am  #9

Had the same idea. Wanted it to be on the inside of the forearm. Tried the straps and stuff - everything slides to your wrist. Thought about a sleeve - Nike made one for iphone 8 (waterproof phone), but went out of production. Still some for iphone 6 around but havent tried (not waterproof though)
I think you need at least an iphone 8 to get the data at the right size for starting or having 6 data blocks on a page. Ok for 1 and 4 at a pinch.

4/19/2020 4:19 pm  #10

I made something that works okay - still a work in progress...

my iphone 10 is always in a lifeproof.., so what i did was cover the back of the lifepoof case with stick-on heavy duty velcro - the soft side, not the hard side, with a cutout for the camera.

then i took a sheet of 1/32 (i think) G10, and cut a piece in the shape of the lifeproof case. on that i stuck the other side of the velcro. then, i sewed two big velclro straps to the G10 sheet. the velcro straps go around my arm. the phone can be stuck on and taken off easily. so far , it hasn't come off accidentally, which is good because ther is no lanyard or anything on the phone.

if we could post pics, i would.

Last edited by us7070 (4/19/2020 4:19 pm)

Board footera