Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2018 6:15 am  #1

Trouble Getting Data from Expidition

This may be a brain fart on my part, where I missed something but I cannot seem to get the instrument data anymore on my tablet. It works fine at home if I use Simulator Data (using the same wifi router) when I use it on the boat getting data from a nmea 0183 connection, it shows up int Expedition but not on the iPad. Anyone know where I should look to troubleshoot?

-Craig  

7/18/2018 9:13 am  #2

Re: Trouble Getting Data from Expidition

How are your instruments connected to Expedition?   Ethernet?   USB COM port?

7/18/2018 9:23 am  #3

The problem usually comes down to not having your computer and tablet connected to the same network, not having the correct transmit address, or not having data selected to transmit.
The basic instructions are: First make sure you computer and your phone are connected to the same network. Then go to your phone settings> Wi-Fi> and click on the network you are connected to. Write down the router address you see listed there.  Go into the network setup you have for Ventus, make sure you have Expedition selected in the Instruments drop down, UDP selected for Connection, and then type the address you got for the router from your phone into the box. It is best to put in the first three sets of numbers from your phone and then in the last box put in 255. 255 is like a wildcard. That will do it. You can check to make sure you have data being transmitted by clicking on the Raw Data box where you should see a stream of numbers going by. If you don't see any then the problem is that Expedition is not connected to the same network as the phone, or that you haven't gone into Expedition settings and select the data you want to transmit. There you can click on the Exp Tx filter and select all the data channels you want to send to Ventus. 

7/18/2018 9:27 am  #4

ZeeZee wrote:

How are your instruments connected to Expedition?   Ethernet?   USB COM port?

Simulator data works, the actual interment data is coming from a USB Com port adapter. 

7/18/2018 1:58 pm  #5

Have you looked at the raw data feed into the Exp com port?

7/19/2018 11:08 am  #6

Can you access the PC via a Remote Desk Top application from your tablet?

You mention you use the same wifi router.   Is there anything else plugged into the router when you are at the boat compared to at home?

7/19/2018 11:14 am  #7

Nick wrote:

Have you looked at the raw data feed into the Exp com port?

No but the numbers boxes, etc populate fine on the PC so the data is getting in, just not out! 

7/19/2018 11:15 am  #8

ZeeZee wrote:

Can you access the PC via a Remote Desk Top application from your tablet?

You mention you use the same wifi router.   Is there anything else plugged into the router when you are at the boat compared to at home?

Possibly my phone and the tablet but that's it and that probably happens at home too. 

7/20/2018 11:49 am  #9

Check the Exp Tx filter and make sure you have select all the data channels you want to send to Ventus. 

7/20/2018 10:40 pm  #10

If it works with the simulator it must be a networking issue.
Try installing the app "fing" on your tablet and phone. Then you can verify which devices are visible over the network and you can check if your PC is visible from your tablet or phone.

Another thought: when at home, isn't your PC also connected to your home wifi via a router is your home? Then likely it gets an IP address from that router. Probably your router at the boat does not have DHCP enabled.

Board footera