Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2016 1:37 pm  #1

C-Maps

Is it possible to install a C-Map from the orange SD card into Expedition on the laptop?
Can it be done with a USB SD-card reader?
Does the SD card have to remain plugged into the laptop for the whole voyage?  or can I simply install the C-Map into Expedition, and then stick the card back into the GPS, where I got it from?

1/26/2016 6:28 pm  #2

Re: C-Maps

Hello,
​The C-map card reader is required to read C-map charts on SD cards. The card reader is used to stop people copying SD cards.
Unfortunately, this means it will only work with the card in the SD reader.
Nick

1/26/2016 6:59 pm  #3

Okay.  Great.  Will any USB C-Map card reader do?  Or do I need a special C-Map card reader?  If so, any idea where I can get one on the West Coast USA?

1/26/2016 7:04 pm  #4

I meant to say, will any USB SD Card reader do the trick, or do I need a special C-Map card reader?

1/26/2016 8:14 pm  #5

Hello,
It has to be the C-Map reader. Very few people use this option though as the CD charts are a better option.
In the US, charts are free from NOAA though.
Nick

1/26/2016 8:26 pm  #6

Thanks Nick.  Got it.  This is for the the Puerto Vallarta race, San Diego to PV Mexico.  NOAA charts stop at the border. We have an extra C-Map card.  But sounds like purchasing the C-Map DVD is the better option.

4/05/2016 12:32 am  #7

Hi!

I as well have a C-map card laying around, and figured that getting the card reader would suffice. However, and local vendor told me yesterday that they are out of stock, and C-Map have stopped making them.

So, my question is:
What is the *easiest* way to get C-map maps into expedition? I understand that I might be out of luck with the card I have without the reader, but I'm interested in alternative ways as well.

4/05/2016 5:34 pm  #8

Hello, I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me.
 ​Either MAX on CD from your local reseller or the 4D charts.

4/13/2016 11:10 am  #9

Thanks!

For me, the simplest way ended up in the following (on a laptop without a cd-rom):
 - Email CMap support to get a download link to their CDs (tip from my local reseller).
 - Did the download, mounted the downloaded CD image as a virtual drive (can be done in windows 7 at least) and installed the software on the downloaded CD image.
  - And finally selected the chart I wanted, bought it through the program, etc - just as I imagine it would work through having the normal physical CD.

Probably obvious for many, but it wasn't for me

Board footera