Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2017 11:39 pm  #1

DX900 from Airmar -- Leeway measured directly via Bluetooth ...?

So Airmar's DX900 is out now, and this directly measures leeway - but only puts it out via bluetooth connection 
Presumably it's possible to get that data into the PC via a bluetooth dongle, but will Exp take that as a direct input (rather than calculating leeway from speed/wind etc data)?  Anyone tried this yet?

10/01/2017 2:00 pm  #2

Re: DX900 from Airmar -- Leeway measured directly via Bluetooth ...?

I see it sends NMEA 2000 PGN 128000. This is a newer one. I have just added it to Exp for the next update.

It also sends PGN 130578 (vessel speed components). You can tell Exp to use this to calculate leeway, see calculate leeway from bsp components option in Exp's calculations options.

​I'm not sure if any instrument systems (H5000 etc) can use this yet.

​I see there is a NMEA 0183 sentence in the specification ($VMNLA), but I presume this is Airmar specific and I don't have any details about it.

10/01/2017 10:14 pm  #3

Thanks Nick - There are two versions of the DX900: one Depth/Speed/Temp, and the other one Speed/Temp.  The Speed/Temp version (the only one apparently available at the moment, and the one we'd be getting as the keel bulb will be under the unit so depth not useful) is set up with an actisense 0183-N2K converter. I wonder if that airmar 0183 sentence ($VMNLA) might get the info nicely to the N2K side? 

So it looks like at least come people will be dependent on 0183 -> N2K ... maybe we're back to the Bluetooth dongle, it would be nice to have Exp just read the leeway info rather than needing to calculate it

Last edited by apw (10/01/2017 10:18 pm)

10/01/2017 11:03 pm  #4

I only saw the DX900+. It seems to come with an adaptor box that outputs NMEA 2000.

http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=199

10/02/2017 1:43 am  #5

From the guide:
http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-626-01.pdf

Speed & Temperature Only: NMEA0183
Wire the sensor directly to the NMEA0183 instrument. There is NO processor in this application.
1. If the power is connected to the instrument, disconnect it.
2. Route the sensor cable to the instrument .
Do not fasten the cable in place at tthis time.
3. Being sure the power is OFF, connect the speed and temperature sensor cable to the instrument. Follow the instructions in your instrument owner’s manual and refer to the wire colors and functions below:
Red VDC+
Black VDC-
White A + NMEA bi-directional Blue B - NMEA bi-directional Bare Shield

Depth, Speed & Temperature: NMEA2000 or NMEA0183
To use the depth function, the sensor must be connected to the network or instrument through a processor. There are two versions of the processor: NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 compatible. Be sure you have the correct processor before beginning the installation. 

The Airmar chaps can do firmware updates via the mobile phone / bluetooth connection.  Maybe they'll so something with that ...

Here's the manual for their CAST app that works over bluetooth and gets all of the data ...
http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-630-01.pdf

Last edited by apw (10/02/2017 1:50 am)

10/05/2017 1:12 am  #6

Hey Nick, you still there?
So... if the DX900 (speed/temp version) can't use 0183 to send leeway directly to Exp, how about my original question re the possibility of a Bluetooth connection to a virtual serial port? Could that feed directly-measured leeway (rather than calculated) into Exp ?

Last edited by apw (10/05/2017 1:13 am)

10/05/2017 2:00 am  #7

It is possible the Bluetooth appears as a serial port to the computer.

​BT often isn't very reliable I have found. The link above has NMEA 0183 & 2000. Either would be better in my opinion

11/21/2019 7:41 am  #8

Hi, it's been a while since this conversation.  Has anyone gained any experience with the DX 900+?  It's pricey, but there doesn't appear to be any heel sensor available that works in my Raymarine system.

Board footera