Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2017 8:06 pm  #1

Expedition Custom channels to Garmin GNX120

Hi
Does anyone know if there is any particular trick required for sending the Expedition custom channels to the GNX120 displays?    I have a USB connection from laptop to Garmin GND10 box, which is connected to both nexus FDX server / NX2 displays and also the NMEA 2000 network with the GNX120 displays.
There is no data showing on the custom channels on the GNX120 displays, despite having done a mapping within Expedition.  Is there anything else to do to make this work?
Thanks

8/27/2017 5:03 pm  #2

Re: Expedition Custom channels to Garmin GNX120

I think the GND10 was updated to support custom channels with FDX sometime after the NMEA 2000 support. It might be worth checking if the software on the GND10 is up to date.

NMEA 2000 with the Actisense NGT-1 is generally a better way to send them though.

9/24/2017 8:03 am  #3

HI, 
I had the same issue, could never get the custom channels to work. I am using the Actisence NGt1 Usb to N2K and it works like a charm. Super simple to use, and works great. 

In the beginning we tried to  calibrate the Garmin system (without luck) so we used expedition as a source for calibrating everything. Now i have bitten the bulled and bought a H5000 hercules cpu. I still use the antisense to display custom values. We just found the TWA and TWD  not as good when sending from expedition - it was jumping slightly to much. I have to say that we are super happy with our current set up. Expedition, H5000 the Garmin Gnx120 displays works really well together.

9/30/2019 5:17 am  #4

so how would this actually work on a system with an H5000 performance processor, B&G sensors, and GNX 130 displays at the mast?

I want to send expedition custom channels to the GNX displays.

I am assuming the NGT-1 gets connected directly  to the NMEA 2000 backbone - right?

Then, i guess I install the NGT-1 drivers, and the NGT-1 USB gets plugged into the laptop.

Will the NGT-1 show up on a com port?

What sort of instrument connection will I configure within expedition on that com port?

are there any restrictions on what numbers I can send to the GNX displays?

Last edited by us7070 (9/30/2019 5:20 am)

9/30/2019 12:05 pm  #5

Yes, in this case, Exp is connected directly to the NMEA 2000 network with the NGT-1.

The NGT-1 will appear as a serial port in Exp.

You can send most data, but the format is fixed by Garmin for most data types.

You will then have two sources of data to Exp - theNGT-1 and the H5000 websocket. It is a very good idea in Exp to
1. Disable GPS data from the H5000 (there is an option on the Exp connection page)
2. Enable only GPS and AIS data from the NGT-1. If you have more than one GPS source on teh network, you can tell Exp which one to use.
3. Enable the Garmin PGN Tx option in Exp.
The GPS data should have lower latency into Exp this way.

10/18/2019 11:47 am  #6

I have two GNX130s on the mast after a suggestion from Nick. I have a laptop with Actisense. It works as a charm. I have two alternating channels set that they show start line data prestart and then switch to wind and perf numbers.

5/27/2021 3:58 am  #7

Slight tangent, but issue relates to getting GNX120 to work with H5000.

I have H5000 and Zeus, etc. and GNX120 shows different “cryptic” numbers (mainly 9-digit decimals) for me to choose between as potential data sources for various parameters (GPS, NAVIGATION, HEADING, BAROMETER, ALTITUDE, etc.)

For some like BAROMETER it’s easy because it shows only one 9-digit number. However for GPS and NAVIGATION it shows multiple 9-digit numbers. After a bit of faffing and head scratching, I found I can deduce which 9-digit number is which by removing all the blade fuses on the switch panel, and then re-inserting them one-by-one … tedious, but Garmin don’t seem to know a better way … so I’ve now mapped one 9-digit GPS source to NAIS500, another to H5000 another to Zeus.

However, for WIND the GNX120 offers 3-4 9-digit data sources, all of which ultimately flow from a single WS720 wind sensor (connected as analog port to H5000). Hence, as would be expected, all those 9-digit numbers appear/disappear according to whether the blade fuse for the H5000 is inserted/removed.

I speculate that the different 9-digit number map to subtly different wind calculations (like True Wind and Ground Wind), but does anyone know how to decipher which 9-digit number maps to which ‘type’ of wind?

5/27/2021 5:13 pm  #8

I thought they had more user friendly descriptors than that.

3/07/2023 3:18 pm  #9

I use a laptop to publish BSP and Heel Targets to my GNX120s via Actisense and Garmin Custom Channels.  Is this the best practice?  I don't believe I can send them via my H5000 Herc to the GNX Displays.  

Is there a way to change the dampening and precision that are displayed on the GNX120s?  The dampening I apply in Settings>Channels does not appear in the GNX Displays.  From a quick read of the GNX manuals, it doesn't look like their dampening feature applies to custom channels.  Am I missing something?

My objective is to get Target BSP displayed with 1 decimal precision and damped x seconds.  

Thanks in advance for any tips!

3/07/2023 3:24 pm  #10

Correct - you can't send custom data via the H5000.

There is an option to select damped or not in the custom channels window.

We can't specify the precision.

Board footera