Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2017 6:40 pm  #1

NmeaRemote Integration

How do I integrate expedition running on a laptop with Nmearemote (2.3) on my iPad?

Expedition is receiving it's instrument date from a Digital Yachts WL10.

Thanks

Last edited by Fergal (6/21/2017 10:33 am)

1/27/2017 11:14 am  #2

Re: NmeaRemote Integration

Rhino

NMEA Remote is new to me but looks very interesting.  I'll download it this weekend and see how it functions.  I have also reached out to the developer to get some guidance.  

Have you purchased the Expedition module  - it is an InApp purchase it seems.
Fergal.

1/29/2017 2:58 pm  #3

I do have the in App module.

I received this reply over the weekend, 

"To link to Expedition you have to first configure Expedition:
At the „Instruments/Serial and Network Ports“ panel you have to check Connection „UDP Tx & Rx“.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwv0aapce6qdk56/screen%20shot.tif?dl=0

In NMEAremote you have to add an Expedition source to the NMEA sources. That’s all."

However, the panel that comes up on my copy of expedition does not look like the one shown.

1/29/2017 4:26 pm  #4

Do you have a network port in Exp? If not, set the number of network ports to be (eg) 1.

1/30/2017 10:20 am  #5

Rhino
I spent yesterday playing with the app. I'm quite impressed. In basic mode I was able to get some data to display. I set the source as NMEA and configured expedition to transmit on port 10110 over IDP.
But when I purchased the expedition module, that's when it really shone. I reconfigured expedition to transmit over port 5010. Some new menu options show up in the app including set Mark, set port and stbd and timer functions.

Downside is that the screens are not themselves configurable. But there are so many standard screens most scenarios are addressed.

I haven't been able to get TTS and DTS functions working yet, but I was working in simulation mode on Expedition.

Regarding your issues, check that you have the port enabled as Nick said, you should choose Expedition as the type of connection and keep the port at 5010.  UDP Tx and Rx.

If you are still having problems I can send you a screenshot of my config. 

Let me know if you have more questions

Fergal

1/30/2017 11:40 am  #6

Thanks

I will give that a go.

As to configuring the screen, there is an in-app purchase that lets you configure your own screens, have not tried it but it does not cost much so when i have got the rest working I may give it a go and report back.

1/30/2017 5:12 pm  #7

Gents
Is this a "Ventus like" app i.e. displays performance values like BSP, TWA, MOB etc, whether from instruments or Expedition,  Or can you actually feed data into a remote copy of Expedition for calulation, diplay etc on the remote device?
Cheers

1/30/2017 6:44 pm  #8

Yes, it is a cheap ipad app that allows you to display NMEA data, there is no ability to input data except for route/waypoint selection.

or the long version (from App store)oad apps.DescriptionRelax more, sailing with the new marine-App for your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch

Entertainment and navigation at sea have never been so much fun. Now your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch can connect to your ship's network and navigation system and give you all the important information quickly and easily in your hand.
Whether it is navigation data, wind speed or water depth, your new crew member "NMEAremote" shows at a glance everything that you need to know.
Be mobile and connect your iPhone to all your NMEA devices over WLAN with a NMEA/RS232 - WiFi converter such as "Miniplex-2Wi", "iMux", "iAIS", "Seamate 1A LITE" or a computer with the appropriate software.

Features:
● NMEA 0183/2000 compatible, combine with any marine network
● Alarms: Many preconfigured alarms (e.g. Anchoralarm) either showing a popup, coloring the display or playing a sound 
● multifunction display
● bold, easy to read displays
● easy to use chapter and page control
● Favorite Pages, Page Roll, Environments, Server
● several Display themes
● 'unlimited' NMEA log
● visual indicator for NMEA activity
● outdated values will be dimmed and at least reseted
● Rules: Block, Mask Time and TalkerID for each NMEA sentence
● independent configurable units for speed, distance, depth, wind speed
● iPad fullscreen support
● Race Timer with laps
● Multitasking / Fast App Switching, 
● Background Logging (Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.)
● Connection Log
● Waypoints/Routes & MOB functionality (GPX&KML import)

Supported Devices:
● Wifi
Bonjour
CANboat (actisense serial | iptee)
comar NMEA-2-Wifi
DMK Box (NMEA 0183 & NMEA 2000)
DY: iAIS / WLN10
EKI-1351
Expedition
EXPOUND2K
ezTCP CSW-H80
GoFree™
GMM (NMEA 0183 & N2k)
HelmSmart™
iKommunicate
iMux (AdHoc) & iMux / eMux (DHCP)
nke NMEA Wifi Interface
NMEA over IP
NMEAremote Server
Open Skipper (N2k Datagram)
RedBox
Sailmon
SeaMate
SeaSmart.NET (NMEA 0183 & NMEA 2000)
ShipModul MiniPlex-2Wi / MiniPlex-3Wi(-N2K)
Signal K
vYacht
XB 8000 / Watch Mate Vision

● Internal
Core Location (iOS GPS)
iOS Barometer

● External
Bad Elf GPS
Dual XGPS 150/160
GNS 2000 / 5870 MFI
Redpark GPS Cable

● Misc
LogFile
Simulation

NOT Supported Devices:
● Garmin GNT 10 
● Raymarine Wifi devices
(these manufacturers are not interested in collaborating and still keeping their systems secret)

Displayed Data (if available from marine network or calculated)
● GPS: LAT/LON, COG/SOG, BTW, DTW, VMG, XTE, TTG (calculated from DTW/ VMG), satellites in view & azimuth, elevation, SNR
● Sounder: depth (surface/keel), min/max depth
● Weather: app. & true wind, app. & true close hauled, max. wind speed, Beaufort (from true wind speed), wind direction (from true wind angle and heading), water & air temperature, air pressure, humidity, wave height, current set & drift
● Velocity: current speed, max. speed, VMG, log / trip
● Heading: magnetic / true heading, deviation, variation, turn (difference between heading and COG). leeway
● Pitch/Roll
● distance and bearing to laylines, startline (Expedition) 
● Engine: RPM, Oil Pressure & Temp., Alternator, Fuel, Trim, Hours & Dual Engine Support

Supported NMEA 0183 Sentences:
● GLL, RMC, RMB, VTG, XTE, GGA, GSA, GSV, ZDA
● VHW, VLW, VBW
● MWD, MWV, MDA, VWR, VWT, MTW, MTA, MMB, MHU, MWH, VDR, VPW
● DBT, DPT
● HDG, HDM, HDT
● PCDIN, PGN, NTWOK (Open Skipper)
● PBGTTBS, PBGTVMG, PSILTBS, PMAROUT
● XDR

Supported NMEA 2000 Sentences:
● PGN127250, PGN127257, PGN127488, PGN127489, PGN127505, PGN128259, PGN128267, PGN128275
● PGN129025, PGN129026, PGN129283, PGN129291, PGN129539, PGN129540
● PGN130306, PGN130310, PGN130311, PGN129539, PGN129540

For any questions, support or suggestions please send an e mail to iphone@zapfware.de

2/04/2017 11:46 pm  #9

I'm using NmeaRemote since about two years together with expedition. Zapfware.de has done a really great job! Wouldn't miss that software anymore.

Board footera