Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2016 7:08 am  #1

"Cross probing" Strip Chart to Track?

(This is a carryover from looking at a schematic vs a physical layout in the day job and being able to annotate one view from the other) 

It would be nice if in the future,  there was a way to synchronize the strip chart and the track playback, so that you could click on one, and have the other go to the same time step, and update the number boxes to that point. 

Setting wands/flags/events in either would then show up on the other view. 

Sheldon 

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

8/19/2016 1:48 pm  #2

Re: "Cross probing" Strip Chart to Track?

heldon, maybe I'm missing something here, but they do now.  One of the most useful features for analysis purposes.  If you ping your track in Expedition (right click/Add Stripchart Wand from memory) a wand will be placed on the same point in Stripchart.  That's when 4 wands becomes useful, I always look at coming in and out of tacks, gybes or mark roundings to check calibrations.

8/19/2016 6:42 pm  #3

Duncan, I may have missed that. Does it work both ways ? If you set a wand/ event in strip  does it tag the track ?

Ability to scroll forward/backward in sync in both views is probably a better way to describe.
With a common time display Like a video editor.  (Now there's a future feature)

The positional context where I sail is huge due to local effects.

Last edited by sheldon.haynie (8/19/2016 6:45 pm)

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

8/20/2016 3:07 pm  #4

Yes, it does that. You have a small dot on the track.

8/20/2016 11:58 pm  #5

I suspect if you were cleverer than me, you could have the two open on separate monitors. However, I have found when moving stripchart wand positions in Stripchart and then jumping back to Expedition, the wand positions don't always move.  A quick resize one way then the other fixes the problem.

8/21/2016 11:26 am  #6

Is there an easy way to see at what time I was at a specific point on my track?   I would expect a tooltip which displays some key info when you hover over a point of your track (e.g. Time, tws, twd, bsp, twa, etc).
In some races you have to record the time at which you pass some marks.  While you might be busy with sail changes etc at that time I want to get that info from Exp later on.

8/21/2016 3:21 pm  #7

Zee
Dead easy as per this thread.  Have track open in Expedition and open in Stripchart also, insert Stripchart Wand on the relevant point on the track, and find the vertical red line in Stripchart.  It will show the time at the top.

12/02/2022 8:22 pm  #8

There is one more idea I would like to suggest that aligns with this request.Sync video files to the log and strip chart. 
If this is done using the time signature we could sync photos, video and audio files.  If the sync is time based we could also include media from the R/C, the coach boat, the tender, drones.  

This is a very powerful addition the existing tool set.  It will attract the high end programs and the professional coaches.

Board footera