Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2016 8:09 am  #1

TWA calibrations vs sail chart

I'm finding my TWA from H5000 in need of calibration to reduce errors where the TWD shifts 10 degrees on tacks. 
Simple enough to make the edits to the table on the H5000, and B&G support says it's possible to save multiple tables depending perhaps on headsail xchoice & reefing. 

Question: (How) do you swap data tables for different sail plans, or do you just have one table that implicitly is calibrated with the different sails used at different TWS? 

e.g. if I reef upwind at 15 kts and downwind at 25, Do I just make sure that those are the choice that is flying when doing the TWA/TWS cals, or do I make a Reefed table at all speeds and swap it in? 

or do you just skip the H5000 cal and do it in Exp? 

Potentially I can see having one sail chart & TWA/TWS correction for fully crewed with Asymm. vs shorthanded, poled out genoa, where I might reef sooner and be more conservative.  

Last edited by sheldon.haynie (7/28/2016 8:39 am)

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

7/28/2016 3:35 pm  #2

Re: TWA calibrations vs sail chart

I would always do the calibration in the H5

7/29/2016 8:00 am  #3

Re: TWA calibrations vs sail chart

Nick, 

thanks for the advice.

Given that, I  would  take it to mean I should abandon any attempt to link a calibration table choice to the sail charts/selection and just prepare a single set of TWA/TWS cal tables in H5k after determining the crossovers in Exp, with iterations as needed as it refines.

Fortunately we don't have that many choices. 

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

Board footera