Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2016 5:44 am  #11

Re: Plotting Position Reports from YB

Nick, thx, finally found that the display, racing settings had "disappeared" and correcting that solved my problems.  Happy camper again, but sorely missed an opportunity on the race.  BTW, is there any thread u know of discussing the use of sat comms as in Sailor 150?

7/25/2016 9:05 am  #12

pjl wrote:

Joe, is there any other setting than having the course active that would cause the destination to be incorrect?  I have looked and can't find one.  last year all this worked fine and i don't remember any particular bumps to get it active, but I did miss checking track other boats per nick's comment.  Still waiting to hear if there is any way to play this back in order to test operation.  Does Oxley's book deal with any of this?  I don't remember anything, but it has been awhile.

For testing, I go about a couple of different approaches. First, if you have the files you downloaded, clear everything from Expedition, and import them one by one. That should give you a set to test with. The YB Tracking button only automates the download of those files. Otherwise, it is the same import process.

Second, is for a race I didn't compete in, which is already finished. You can use the YB API to pull down XML files back over a specified range of updates. (You can pull the last update, last two updates, etc.). With those, you can build whichever combination you need. It's a bit of work, but valuable for reference. Also, the XML provides COG and SOG from the device, rather than calculated.

I am testing now to see if the built in delay is also reflected in the API data. Will get back later on that, once I have a race I can test with.

7/25/2016 12:57 pm  #13

I haven't looked at the API XML files. Would it be any help if I added support for them in Exp?

7/25/2016 5:21 pm  #14

definitely going to work on this thought.  i've gotten a long way forward with my understanding as a result of following the CYC Mac race this past weekend.  Definitely want to pull the history per above to have the ability to review the entire BYC race via Exp pos rpts.
Thx for the thoughts, pjl

7/26/2016 12:21 pm  #15

Nick wrote:

I haven't looked at the API XML files. Would it be any help if I added support for them in Exp?

I think yes.

pjl

7/27/2016 8:03 pm  #16

Nick wrote:

Good question. I like the API, because I get to manipulate the raw data, as well as control the feed. That said, I still prefer to use the schedules that get published for Expedition purposes. The only reason I would use the API itself, would be if I needed to get the data and the race schedule wasn't working for me. For example, I have used the XML data to pull specific multiple check-ins, whereas the race schedule only pulls the last check-in. I assume this is why Expedition needs multiple schedule updates to plot a track.

I think the real value of the API is the flexibility it offers around the data. I am just not sure how you would integrate that into Expedition, while retaining the same level of flexibility. That isn't really an application issue, but rather a difference between raw data and interpreted data. That said, I would be interested in seeing what you would develop from the data. /grin

Here is a link to the API Integration Notes:
http://cdn.yb.tl/docs/Yellowbrick%20XML%20API%20Notes.pdf

5/02/2018 4:09 pm  #17

YB tracking My boat is missing ?-
Just finished the Newport to Ensenada race and was trying to replay the YB tracks.
I download the Boat ID's and the tracking data and I can see every boat except mine.  My boat was in the
database before i loaded the boat ID's don't know if that is an issue or not. 
I even tried to change the reference boat, but still mine does not show up.  I did look at the web version and my boat shows up.  Any ideas as to why I can't see my own track?  

5/02/2018 6:00 pm  #18

If you click the 'View all' button, does your boat show in the list?

Do you have your boat selected to be able to be plotted in Exp's boats interface?

Last edited by Nick (5/02/2018 6:01 pm)

5/03/2018 9:27 am  #19

Nick,
​Yes, in the boat editor i did have my boat selected. it was also the ref boat.  I also tried using another boat as a ref boat, but that did not change anything, i still did not see my YB track.

​I did rename the Expedition.mdb​ file and started a new one and then I re-download the race using the API option and I now can see my boat. 

​I did have tracking on, but the system did crash, and it seems to have lost the beginning of the track. 
​If Expedition is keeping track of my boat, is it excluded from the YB tracks?
Thanks
steve

5/03/2018 10:42 am  #20

If you click the 'View all' button, does your boat show in the list?

Board footera