Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2016 4:22 pm  #1

Sail Chart

My Sail maker made a sail chart for me. It is an Excel file.
Can I import it into Exp as a .xls file somehow?. I tried and did not seem to work.
Thanks for any help.

7/15/2016 6:52 pm  #2

Re: Sail Chart

It has to be in a format like the sample chart included with Exp

7/15/2016 10:44 pm  #3

You need to export the excel to a .txt file.
As Nick mentioned there is a sample included in the ProgramData\Expedition\Sails folder

7/18/2016 4:30 pm  #4

Tried to convert it but just the profile lines with no labels, The sails did not show up in the chart.
Here is a link to the excel file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldduog72q4xpvqr/Sail%20selection%20for%20J-122%20Ursa.xlsx?dl=0

7/18/2016 5:10 pm  #5

Unfortunately, there is no easy/automatic way to convert that

7/19/2016 1:56 am  #6

It's probably also important to remember that polars are setting the boats optimum speed and crossover charts are telling which sail to use.  Not really connected.
So starting from scratch, a lot of work has to be done 'adjusting' the sail chart from the sail maker, based on 'real' data derived from testing; all while trying to get to (or above) the polar which then needs to be adjusted. 

i.e. A sailmaker can estimate a sails parameters (TWS & TWA), but not what speed your boat will be doing when flying it. Likewise a VPP can say how fast your boat can theoretically go in a certain wind but not what sail you'll have to accomplish it.

Cheers

7/19/2016 4:08 am  #7

There is a way to get this to something that Expedition can read - but it is another piece of proprietorial software from these guys http://www.sailingperformance.com/index.html called CrossoverChart. A great product if you are doing any significant amount of this work, but not cheap as it is an annual sub. Essentially, you load the image into CC, then trace the boundaries and create an XML file. This can also be exported to a CSV file.

7/22/2016 5:56 pm  #8

Ok, I have given up on trying to import my own, I am trying to work with the one that comes with Exp.
Why does it show sails in the chart that are not checked in the sail list?
Is there any way to default it back to the original as I have a some miss colored boxes sprinkled in that I am not sure if they are affecting the sail choices.

7/24/2016 10:35 pm  #9

You should create a .txt sail chart file with the sails that you use on your boat.  
Then load this file as the sail chart in Exp.   Next step is to ensure that you give each of the sails a proper color code (in the sail list) as otherwise they all show in dark grey and you can hardly recognize all the sails you have defined in you chart.

Board footera