Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2016 11:57 am  #1

Race notes and isochronal routing

i am having issues when there are more than one race note set to avoid when running optimal routes using the isochronal method.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I have set a course for the chicago mac with 3 marks all set to sail to.  using 2 race notes to cover the area of grey's reef we are required to avoid.   When one is active (set to avoid = yes) the routing works, however with both of them set to avoid the routing gives me the completed with errors popup. Is there something special i need to do to make the route work?  or is this a limitation of the isochronal model?

7/19/2016 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Race notes and isochronal routing

I believe that the difficulty is associated with the isochronal routing algorithm. The same problem occurs for me whenever I set both my Michigan and Wisconsin exclusion zones (race notes) to "Yes" under the "Avoid" column. When I set either note to "No"  then an isochronal route is produced; albeit a different route depending on which note is set to avoid. The two isochronal route are up to 40 NM apart and they finish 45 minutes apart.   

Neither of those routes is the same route that is produced when the grid algorithm is selected but all three routes finish within an hour. Note that I am routing to a "speedpoint" approximately 10.5 NM WNW of Point Betsie.

I believe (not really certain here) that the isochronal route was developed for longer offshore legs that would not be constrained by exclusion areas defined in race notes.

Good luck in the event.    

7/19/2016 1:02 pm  #3

I suspect too much use of the race notes that stops Exp finding a solution.

7/19/2016 1:37 pm  #4

Thanks for the info,I figured as much.  Will you be racing as well Joe? 

Last edited by justinkalb (7/19/2016 1:37 pm)

Board footera