Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2016 7:21 am  #1

Advice on best/most compatible GPS puck to use with Expedition needed.

Need advice on the most compatible, easy to install/use, GPS puck for Expedition. I recently had an opportunity to use a Zenstar III, but there were a lot of driver issues with Windows 10. Any advice appreciated.

7/05/2016 7:31 am  #2

Re: Advice on best/most compatible GPS puck to use with Expedition needed.

Are you planning to use without any other sailing instruments?

Quite a bit of the system value comes from the ability to integrate and process the sailing instrument readings available over NMEA 0183/2000 and assess & tune performance.  Modern NMEA 2000 units (e.g. Navico ZG100) have =>10Hz rates and precision in the sub meter, with 10 meter accuracy. If there's no available data for heading/wind/boat speed, then any GPS that you can install would be pretty much the same in terms of usability. 

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

7/05/2016 8:24 am  #3

Would probably use a wide range of Raymarine instruments for the next race, and it's got it's own GPS nmea0183 device compatibility; this is intended to be (for now), just a makeshift opportunity to learn the software further. At sea, if I got it working successfully, I guess it'd be a backup to the Raymarine system as well.

7/05/2016 12:01 pm  #4

Roc, 

I am using from desk, without any GPS/Instruments. You don't need connection to explore. 

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

8/24/2016 12:35 pm  #5

I use a GlobalSat puck, about $50, locks on signal very fast and I feed into USB port.  When you do this, however, you should uncheck the box for your instruments to send lat lon from the ship's GPS.  I affix the puck to a cabin window via velcro.  Only problem I have ever had is if a crew member is leaning in directly over the window where the puck is, but that rarely occurs.  HIKE!!

8/24/2016 12:50 pm  #6

pepv wrote:

I use a GlobalSat puck, about $50, locks on signal very fast and I feed into USB port.  When you do this, however, you should uncheck the box for your instruments to send lat lon from the ship's GPS.  I affix the puck to a cabin window via velcro.  Only problem I have ever had is if a crew member is leaning in directly over the window where the puck is, but that rarely occurs.  HIKE!!

Thanks very much for this advice.

8/24/2016 7:28 pm  #7

I have a Garmin 18 USB, but I think one that provides a virtual serial port instead of having to use Garmin connection makes more sense.

​Some people have Holux  http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_list.jsp?pno=2 , but there are many options.

9/04/2016 10:00 am  #8

I am using the "Navilock NL-602U USB 2.0 GNSS Receiver u-blox 6":
http://www.navilock.de/produkte/F_781_USB_61840/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en
It uses GPS and Glonass simaltaneously and it is exremely precise in SOG and COG - down to 0,01 knot.
Finally the numbers for current drift and set make sense :-)
Cheers, Chriggel

Board footera