Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2024 5:30 am  #1

Dead Reckoning

With the ORC world championships in Tallin Estonia next year, right in the middle of a GPS jamming hotspot. I was wondering if some dead reckoning features could be added to EXP. https://gpsjam.org/

For the past few years, I keep a log of last known position, but total GPS loss is become increasingly rare with a backup GPS in the system and a Mesa 3 with Geo.

I can plot just fine on a paper chart or even electronically with Dividers, but I am thinking maybe EXP could help.

Prehaps a tick box "allow EXP to dead reckon" that you can turn on when you know you are in an area the Russians are jamming. It can then use BSP and Heading to dead reckon and display a big red "GPS location unavailable, Dead Reckoning" on the screen so that you know thats what is happening.

10/10/2024 7:45 am  #2

Re: Dead Reckoning

RV
Good point re ORC
Maybe you could try using the 'simulate' feature to do some of that.
E
Ernie

10/10/2024 7:50 am  #3

It would be cool to get a boat of a different colour and range circle to indicate uncertainty.

10/10/2024 5:43 pm  #4

Unfortunately, I have too much on to look at it just now, but it might tie in well with a future project.

A coupled INS/GPS sensor might be an option.

Yesterday 9:53 pm  #5

rvsail wrote:

With the ORC world championships in Tallin Estonia next year, right in the middle of a GPS jamming hotspot. I was wondering if some dead reckoning features could be added to EXP. https://gpsjam.org/

For the past few years, I keep a log of last known position, but total GPS loss is become increasingly rare with a backup GPS in the system and a Mesa 3 with Geo.

I can plot just fine on a paper chart or even electronically with Dividers, but I am thinking maybe EXP could help.

Prehaps a tick box "allow EXP to dead reckon" that you can turn on when you know you are in an area the Russians are jamming. It can then use BSP and Heading to dead reckon and display a big red "GPS location unavailable, Dead Reckoning" on the screen so that you know thats what is happening.

Interestingly we were aware of this potential issue for the Baltic 600 this year, but never noticed any issue. Not saying that it couldn't happen though.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Today 7:14 am  #6

Thanks Campbell. Glad to hear that in practice it’s not been an issue so far. I know of quite a few pilots that have had problems with GPS in aircraft this year. Fingers crossed it doesn’t become more widespread.

This was an interesting watch on the topic: https://youtu.be/_UNeYZEEOyo?si=A3EISVCC7YTvRzJT

Board footera