Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2024 3:55 pm  #1

Weather display options

Good afternoon, I have a few thoughts on how to better improve the weather display options. I don't quite know what it would take to do this, but I have mockups if you are curious.

First I think if the weather settings started with a check box for what the user would like to display would do a lot to simplify and better translate the options to the user. i.e. click weather 1 then go to weather settings and opposed to the series of drop downs there will be a series of check boxes or switches displaying the same options but clearly indicates which are active. This should also change what is displayed on the weather tooltip.

Second from the inside of each option I think there is room to better control the display setting for an individual component of the weather. The first thing I would like to be able to display is the size of the weather (I am going to use the word sprite to refer to the arrow, barb, streamline, or etc) sprite. For instance, if I have current arrows I would like to be able to set the arrow size to 3px (I know that you can somewhat do that currently). Then I would like to be able to set clear stepping for the color change & size change (independently from the other) if the user selects it.

Finally I would like the ability to change the amount of sprites per "screen" take for instance if you upload a high resolution grib, that grib is primarily being used for routing and part of expeditions usage of that data when displayed slows down the moving around in the program. If the users were able to adjust the amount of sprites I think that the users will be better able to utilize high resolution data especially if there was a quick way to change from max to reasonable to none. This feature would require a fair amount of tuning but I think can pay big dividends if implemented correctly. 

9/16/2024 11:36 am  #2

Re: Weather display options

Thank you.

It used to be different, but I migrated to the current system when the number of vars available expanded. I would be interested to see your mockups.

The barb & arrow subsampling resolution needs to be automatic for simplicity I think.

Board footera