Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2024 9:59 am  #1

AIS, Sailmon and Expedition

Hi

I have a Sailmon E4 Silver-processor connected to Expedition over wifi, using UDP. The sensors are a mix of B&G H2000 and NMEA2000, all integrated through the Sailmon processor. For all standard data (wind, speed, heading, targets, marks etc) it works like a dream.

Just before our last race we installed an Garmin 800 AIS transmitter/receiver (NMEA 2000). The AIS-data showed up on the Vulcan display in the cockpit, but we did not get any AIS data in Expedition. In the instruments page for the Sailmon system I didn't find any options to tell Expedition that it's supposed to receive AIS data.

We didn't have the opportunity for a lengthy debug, but before I go back the coming weekend I wonder if this is supposed to work out of the box or if I have to add some more components to the network? (I have an Actisense NGT-1 which I used to connect the Vulcan to Expedition before we installed the Sailmon processor)

Thanks,

Andreas

9/08/2024 11:08 am  #2

Re: AIS, Sailmon and Expedition

You won't get AIS data over the connection to Sailmon. You need something like the NGT-1 to connect to the NMEA network.

9/08/2024 1:40 pm  #3

Ok, thanks.

Is this due to limitations on how Sailmon handles NMEA? Is there likely to be any changes?

When adding the NGT-1; I'll just limit that connection to AIS only or are there any other considerations to take into account?

Thanks,

Andreas

9/08/2024 6:37 pm  #4

It isn't NMEA. Sailmon sends in the Expedition instrument format so you can get all the data. It doesn't include AIS.

You will want to only allow AIS from the NGT. It may also be a better source of GPS data.

Board footera