Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2024 4:34 pm  #1

Data logging non N2K pgns - eg; B&G measured boat speed port and strbd

Is Expedition able to log any data that is not a NMEA2000 pgn - like B&G measured boat speed port and measured boat speed starboard?

I have both port and starboard speed sensors I am trying to calibrate. I want to record the data from both sensors simultaneously, however the H5000 only outputs a single speed signal. The H5000 is able to create a time plot of this information using the B&G websocket program - however there does not seem to be functionality to save/download the data. The H5000 has the ability to stream data - however Function numbers have not been created/assigned to measured boat speed port and measured boat speed starboard?

Sadly, I believe Expedition does NOT handle proprietary/non NMEA 2000 data and this is a question for B&G. But I haven't had a response from them and thought someone on this forum may have already figured it out.

Any suggestions?

2/15/2024 4:59 pm  #2

Re: Data logging non N2K pgns - eg; B&G measured boat speed port and strbd

You can get the data from the H500 websocket.

In this case you would edit the h5000 xml file to map the port and starboard to (eg) user channels and log those.

No need to get sidetracked into proprietary NMEA 2000 data.

2/15/2024 8:37 pm  #3

Thank you Nick for your quick reply.

Is there any documentation or an example how to do this? All I have is the B&G Installation and Operation  Manuals and missed seeing anything in them. 

Thank you again for your help 

2/16/2024 12:34 pm  #4

See the custom configuration for B&G websockets in the Exp help.

Exp user channels are 172-203.

In B&G

Measured boat speed is 409.
Measured boat speed 1 is 437
Measured boat speed 2 is 438

2/16/2024 1:52 pm  #5

Perfect - thank you for your help!

3/10/2024 11:34 am  #6

Hi Nick.
Do you have a spreadsheet of b&g websocket id numbers ?

Thanks

Last edited by nico_sanfe (3/10/2024 11:35 am)

3/24/2024 2:02 pm  #7

Hi Nico,

Have a look at the web interface on your H5, the all data page.  If the ID numbers aren't visible (I don't remember), you can definitely inspect the web page to get out the ID numbers.

This reference has some details too, including how you can write code to get all the IDs on your system.

https://github.com/LoonSongSoftware/B-G-H5000-Logger/blob/main/resources/Navico%20GoFree%20Tier%202%20WebSocket.pdf

3/24/2024 2:26 pm  #8

Also, let me know if your measured boat speed is right?  I looked at my logs the other day and the number matched the BSP, which shouldn't be the case.  I haven't drilled into it yet to confirm that I'm logging the correct ID.

3/26/2024 7:00 am  #9

Hi Axyl. Thanks for the help.
I'm logging id 437 and 438 (MeasuredBoatSpeed1 & 2) and it's different from BSP; the difference looks to be the bs/heel correction, but not 100% sure. Next week I'm gonna log also id 403 (BoatSpeedCorr) and see what I understand.

Nico 

Board footera