Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2024 10:31 pm  #1

Grib server update

ECWMF HRES data on the Expedition grib server is now at 0.25° resolution.

For the global weather models, GFS, EC and Arpege are available at 0.25° while UM, GFS, ICON and GDPS are available at about 0.1° resolution.

2/07/2024 6:56 pm  #2

Re: Grib server update

I checked for updates but it says expedition is up to date.  Do I need to just reload it to get the update?

2/08/2024 2:18 am  #3

You just download the HRES data. It is now at 1/4 degree resolution.

3/24/2024 1:26 pm  #4

In the download menu the resolution for ECMWF HRES is still named "0.4"

3/24/2024 6:20 pm  #5

That is just in the installed config. The downloaded data is at 1/4 degree. Similarly for the Ensemble.

Today 12:05 am  #6

What are the update times for the EC HRES?
When I download a 10day forecast: is the full forecast available immediately? Or does it start with a forecast for the first few days early in the day and then the longer forecasts become available throughout the day? 

I noticed that for example when I download a 10day forecast at 8am UTC it just goes to about 3 days into the future.
When I select "previous run" it downloads 10 days into the future - but that's obvioulsy the run from the day before.

Would it be possible to integrate an info panel in Expedition showing the update times for different weather models / which model can be downloaded right now / when the next model will be available together with the max available forecast range for the specific model?

Today 2:14 am  #7

See the notes on EC on the weather web page.

You can also query the run times.

Yes, data is only made available when it is available on the server. This and the notes on the web page are reasons for the previous option.

Today 3:34 am  #8

Hi Nick,
thank, understood! It's all there already.

One additional comment:
Right now the name of the downloaded Expedition grib file is 
EX_Model_resolution_date_download time
for example:
EX_GFS_011_16May24_132659
EX_EC_HRES_04_16May24_095147

What do you think about adding the model analysis UTC time to this name?
so for example
EX_Model_resolution_date_analysis time_download time
That would allow to easily see which model has a newer analysis time without having to cross check the availability table

Board footera