Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2024 12:46 pm  #1

AIS "Ghost" of own vessel

Hi,

This has been something I have been chasing on own vesssel and recently witnessed the same behaviour in the S2H with different machines/installs in the race and on another boat on delivery back.
Issue - a "ghost" of your own vessel is sporadically left in your track.  This is a greyed out triangle.  I have attached a screenshot of own vessel(in marina currently but get the idea)  Over time it will be replaced by a more recent "ghost"
Transponders were all different (Vesper, Garmin, B&G) but using N2K network
The only common denominator I could find was that all were using Yacht Devices N2K interfaces for the AIS data - 1 vessel x USB, 2 vessel x Ethernet.  Data was RAW
I have checked /populated the own vessel MMSI field in Expedition.  I have also tried only using AIS over 0183, via Vesper Wifi and also via a direct USB to Vesper on my own vessel and still got the issue.

Has anyone else witnessed this and worked out a fix?
https://imgur.com/a/OLuxwzu

Last edited by Mattzilla (1/20/2024 12:47 pm)

1/20/2024 9:30 pm  #2

Re: AIS "Ghost" of own vessel

You can enter your MMSI number in the AIS settings, which will tell Exp to ignore it.

With NMEA 0183, your own vessel should be sent in the VDO sentence (vs VDM), but it isn't always.

1/21/2024 12:49 pm  #3

Nick wrote:

You can enter your MMSI number in the AIS settings, which will tell Exp to ignore it.

With NMEA 0183, your own vessel should be sent in the VDO sentence (vs VDM), but it isn't always.

All three vessels had their own MMSI entered in AIS settings, but still had this stale "ghost" of own ship appear randomly in the track.  

1/21/2024 12:58 pm  #4

You can query it to see what its MMSI is.

1/24/2024 12:36 pm  #5

Nick wrote:

You can query it to see what its MMSI is.

Mouse over your own ghost icon reveals no target information.   

1/24/2024 12:50 pm  #6

I wonder if it is something mapped to a second boat.

1/25/2024 1:42 pm  #7

Nick wrote:

I wonder if it is something mapped to a second boat.

No boats mapped on my installation which is a fresh install.  Can`t speak for other 2 examples as cannot access them now, but looks like own vessel and is in the track of own vessel when underway, and intermittently leavs the ghost icon, which stays in track until a more recent "ghost" is laid down by own vessl, which replaces/removes the old one.

Board footera