Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2023 2:43 pm  #1

Optimization Outputs

Hi there...

I'm a bit of a newbie user and I'm struggling to understand a few data items in my optimization output and weather model sources.  Could anyone help me to understand the following?

What is the "Targ" field in the output (see below)?  Our polar file has a polar for TWA of 135, 150 and 180.   If this is meant to be the polar entry that is being referenced (as I understood from a prior post in this forum), why would my output have Targ output values of 179 or 173?  I would have thought that Expedition interpolates between the table entries anyway.

Assuming that Twg is the gust info from the grib file, does it make sense that the gust is lower than the TWS?  For some reason, the router has decided that motoring is preferred at this point.  This output is using the EC Ensemble model.  Could this just be model error or a byproduct of using this particular model?

I can't seem to get GFS model output from the Expedition server beyond 192 hours.  I thought this was available for 360 hours.

I do see 360 hours of data from the EC Ensemble model, but reading the post on https://www.expeditionmarine.com/weather.html about ensemble models, it isn't clear that this would be a useful base model for routing.  Is it?  

Thank you in advance!

Adam

11/08/2023 4:12 pm  #2

Re: Optimization Outputs

Hello,

Targ is the Target TWA, the upwind or downwind target angles. You MUST have these in the polar. Values in parentheses imply tacking or gybing (see the Exp help).

The GFS data is available up to 384 hours (16 days). It will take a while for it to all be made available from NOAA though.

The 'Run time(s)' button will tell you how much is available.

In some cases, the gust field is a surface gust ... which can be lower than the 10m average wind.

Last edited by Nick (11/08/2023 6:56 pm)

11/09/2023 6:31 am  #3

Saltair wrote:

Hi there...

I'm a bit of a newbie user and I'm struggling to understand a few data items in my optimization output and weather model sources.  Could anyone help me to understand the following?

What is the "Targ" field in the output (see below)?  Our polar file has a polar for TWA of 135, 150 and 180.   If this is meant to be the polar entry that is being referenced (as I understood from a prior post in this forum), why would my output have Targ output values of 179 or 173?  I would have thought that Expedition interpolates between the table entries anyway.

Assuming that Twg is the gust info from the grib file, does it make sense that the gust is lower than the TWS?  For some reason, the router has decided that motoring is preferred at this point.  This output is using the EC Ensemble model.  Could this just be model error or a byproduct of using this particular model?

I can't seem to get GFS model output from the Expedition server beyond 192 hours.  I thought this was available for 360 hours.

I do see 360 hours of data from the EC Ensemble model, but reading the post on https://www.expeditionmarine.com/weather.html about ensemble models, it isn't clear that this would be a useful base model for routing.  Is it?  

Thank you in advance!

Adam

Hi, feel free to get in touch if you would like some tuition to fast track your learning. https://www.fieldyachting.com/tuition

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

11/09/2023 2:13 pm  #4

Hi Nick --

Thanks for the quick response.  Despite some initial confusion, I think I now understand.  For the benefit of the next user who was confused by this, here's how I now understand it.  

Your polar file contains a table of BSs for combinations of TWA and TWS.  Expedition analyzes your polar file to determine your Target TWA for every wind speed, which is the TWA at which you'll achieve maximum VMG either upwind or downwind at that wind speed.  The routing output table simply shows this calculated optimal TWA for the TWS in each segment.  It has nothing to do with the TWA or TWD of the segment.

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited by Saltair (11/09/2023 2:37 pm)

11/09/2023 3:26 pm  #5

Exactly.

Note that you need to specify the target twa & bsp in the polar.

11/10/2023 12:47 am  #6

Hi Nick --

I thought I understood it until you mentioned again that we need to specify the target TWA and BSP in the polar.  I think you're saying that of the data points in your polar, one of them must be the target for each TWS and Exp will figure out which of those it is.  But my output file suggests that Exp is doing some interpolation, since my polar file only has data for TWA of 135, 150 and 180 yet my Results file from the router has Targ angles of 179, 134, 138, etc. in it.  What would be causing that if not interpolating to find the actual Target?

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited by Saltair (11/10/2023 12:53 am)

11/10/2023 10:31 am  #7

Yes, you need the targets in the polar. It will not work as it should otherwise.

Exp will just select the value with the highest VMG.

The TWA numbers in parentheses are tacking or gybing, not the targets.

Board footera