Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2023 6:01 am  #1

Real Wind Speed/Direction vs Current

Hi
Does Expedition calculate de wind on the water, meanning the vector addition of atmospherique wind (from grib) and the current (from grib or other source) ?
Philippe

3/27/2023 10:18 pm  #2

Re: Real Wind Speed/Direction vs Current

Hello,

I don't completely understand the question ...

3/28/2023 5:55 am  #3

I think he's asking about grib display in expedition.
if one has both a current speed and direction grib, and a wind speed and direction grib loaded.., does the TWD/TWS display in expedition (say if you mouse over a spot) give the vector sum of current and wind.., or is it just the wind - what would be called the ground wind?

3/28/2023 9:27 am  #4

Yes.
On my boat, I have the apparent wind, measured by the wind sensor.
The true wind is calculate by the navigation instruments (sum of wind and boat speed). This is the « on water true wind »
This « on water true wind » is the sum of meteorological wind and the current.

In expedition, I have a grib file with the wind (meteorological wind) and the current (generally from a grib file).

does expedition calculate the « on water true wind » ?
this can be displayed on the screen or in number boxe, but also used in optimisation (this is interesting), or use to compare the wind predictions with the reality 

I sail in the channel with strong tidal currents, it can be very interesting.

3/28/2023 10:03 am  #5

In B&G, True Wind is effectively observed wind + observed current

this results from using HDG and BSP in the wind calculation, rather than COG and SOG, and for many reasons this is the quantity you want to look at for tactical decisions.

But, as you point out, it is not the quantity in a grib forecast, where the wind speed and direction are referred to the fixed earth rather than the moving water.

In Expedition, you can select to display ground wind direction, and ground wind speed (GWD, GWS) in the numbers boxes - As i understand it, this uses observed SOG and COG for the wind calculation, and has the effect of subtractiong current from the True Wind.

and, at the same time, you can also display in adjacent numbers boxes, TWD predicted, and TWS predicted, which are from whatever grib you have loaded - and is the forecast ground wind at your location at the time of observation

so if you are sailing in an area of a lot of current, and you want to compare a grib forecast, with your observations, that is probably the best way to do it

Last edited by us7070 (3/28/2023 10:23 am)

3/28/2023 11:24 am  #6

With the difference HDG/BSP and COG/SOG you have indeed a good estimation of the real current.
I will check GWD/GWS. 

But I didn’t find this in the optimisation results. And I’m not sure if the TWS/TWA is relative to ground or water.

3/28/2023 11:39 am  #7

Yes, the data in the grib files in relative to the ground.

The data in the tooltips, meteogram, number box, drawn on the chart etc is all relative to ground.

When it is used in routing, it is corrected for currents if available.

Board footera