Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2019 1:17 am  #1

Hand Held GPS Integration

I use Expedition running on a Dell laptop. Normally I interface with the boasts B&G or Raymarine systems. However the current yacht I am on has very old gear is it possible to interface a hand held GPS with the lap top so I can get the boat position on Expedition. My lap top has several USB ports and no serial ports. Thanks GPS unit recommendations welcomed.

11/25/2019 10:01 am  #2

Re: Hand Held GPS Integration

The Garmin Handhelds can have USB connections does the Garmon 18x GPS.

Some of the small USB GPSs can be more versatile and send NMEA 0183 data. For example

https://www.holuxdevice.com/gps-receiver.html

11/25/2019 11:45 am  #3

the USGlobalSat BU 353 usb gps is very inexpensive and works well with expedition

i always bring one in case the instrument system goes down

i have also used a variety of garmin handhelds.., and while they work with expedition, it is more common to have driver issues with them. on some of them you have to go into the settings, and chose the nmea mode, and it's a bit of a pain. 

Last edited by us7070 (11/25/2019 11:46 am)

11/25/2019 12:54 pm  #4

Yes, I think the GPSs that send NMEA are probably better.

I have a BU-353S4 in the office and it works well. Cheap too.

11/25/2019 2:42 pm  #5

Thanks for the feedback. USGlobalSat BU 353 usb gps ordered see how we go.

11/25/2019 3:10 pm  #6

the S4 version is the newer version of the 353 - i think the older one, which is just 353, without the S4 doesn't work with win 10 - no driver, or something...

11/26/2019 4:10 pm  #7

I used a Garmin 76CX for two trips to HI.  I didn't use any of Exp's analysis tools (no AWA, AWS, etc) but it worked great just for position, speed, COG, SOG, VMG, etc. and setting up weather and routing.  I plugged it into the laptop directly with USB/USB mini.  I also used the auxiliary antenna for the GPS with the suction mount to an appropriate fixed porthole and suction cup mount.

It's a good solution for a primary GPS but it's a bulletproof and foolproof backup/secondary.  I just recently learned how to connect the boat's instruments to Exp and it's great, but I'm not so confident in my skill so I still carry the handheld.

Added bonus: Handheld GPS works great in an RC whaler for setting marks (without the laptop, of course.)

9/28/2021 8:36 am  #8

Can someone point me in the right direction to integrate the SU-353s4 with expedition, thanks

Jerry

9/28/2021 10:48 am  #9

It should appear as a serial port to Expedition.

Just select NMEA 0183 as the instrument type and make sure you tell Exp to use that port for GPS data.

Board footera