Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2023 5:48 am  #1

Route optimization restricted to certain wind angles

Hi there,
I'm relatively new to the software and recently finished a delivery using it as our primary routing software.  One feature I assume it would be capable of but could not locate was running a route while giving it a lower and upper limit on TWA I'd like to experience during the voyage.  For example, could I specify to it that over the course I input (or just between two marks) that I want to sail at no greater than 120 TWA and no less than 90 TWA?
Thanks!

6/12/2023 10:32 am  #2

Re: Route optimization restricted to certain wind angles

The output of the routing isn't strictly a list of sailing angles or directions.

There are sections of the routing (dashes on the charts) where you are expected to be tacking or gybing along a line to make the best VMG given e conditions.

6/15/2023 1:04 pm  #3

Thanks for the info Sparky!  I'm aware of that but I was wondering if you could give a preferred wind angle / restrict it to within certain TWAs when able. The idea being that along a line between two points where wind is expected to shift significantly there is a route that you could theoretically spend the majority of your time on with a wind angle close to XXX degrees true.

6/23/2023 6:08 am  #4

If you just adjust your polars (temporary) with very low boatspeed outside the desired wind angle range, I guess you should be able to get what you're looking for. 

Board footera