Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2023 3:14 am  #11

Re: Tablets; Anything New?

I use the Getac F110 and pretty happy with it. I think the newer ones are IP66 so should be plenty water proof on most boats.

3/09/2023 5:37 am  #12

Duncan When I try to private message you it says I can't because I haven't made at least 3 postings.

thanks for the reply though Duncan. Curious about your experience with Samsung tablets.  on the Expedition site it seems that if your main PC has windows then you can use Microsoft remote desktop, has that worked for you? https://www.expeditionmarine.com/tablets.html

Would you recommend an iPad? 
I've looked at then SailProof, Mesa, & panasonic Rugged tablets.  but they seem a bit overkill for me since this tablet won't live on a boat/ be in 'rugged' conditions the majority of the time. 

Happy to hear your thoughts, thanks! 

3/09/2023 6:29 am  #13

Chelsea_Carlson wrote:

Duncan When I try to private message you it says I can't because I haven't made at least 3 postings.

thanks for the reply though Duncan. Curious about your experience with Samsung tablets.  on the Expedition site it seems that if your main PC has windows then you can use Microsoft remote desktop, has that worked for you? https://www.expeditionmarine.com/tablets.html

Would you recommend an iPad? 
I've looked at then SailProof, Mesa, & panasonic Rugged tablets.  but they seem a bit overkill for me since this tablet won't live on a boat/ be in 'rugged' conditions the majority of the time. 

Happy to hear your thoughts, thanks! 

Hi Chelsea,

Really enjoyed your weather content.

I'm pretty happy with an iPad running Microsoft RemoteDesktop when on Deck. I've also got the CMap app installed with the charts downloaded and several weather apps I use depending on where I'm racing.

I use an iPad with a SIM so I can access the internet at the some time with bookmarks to websites that report live weather/wind for the local sail area.

The only challenge I find is the waterproof cases are hard to find if you don't have a brandnew iPad. Next upgrade I may stock up on a few cases as they only last so long when racing offshore.

Last edited by sparky (3/09/2023 6:29 am)

3/09/2023 7:05 am  #14

I’m going to get one of these and see how it holds up.

https://oukitel.com/products/oukitel-rt2-rugged-tablet-10-1fhd-20000mah-8gb-128gb-android-12-tablets-16mp-camera-33w-charge-pad?variant=43074406187139

Can find deals on Amazon for down to $300US for an IP68 tablet with 4g sim.

Cheap enough to experiment with and see how it goes

Anyone got one? And reviews?

3/09/2023 7:46 am  #15

Chelsea_Carlson wrote:

Hi, I am also looking at tablets and interested in what others are currently using & liking. I am considering a Samsung Active Pro, anyone tried it? 
For reference I do a variety of different things on boats like nav but also running around on coach boats for dinghies and working with RC, etc. So running Exp is one thing I'd like it to do, but it won't live on the deck of a boat. 

- What is needed to run Exp on an Android tablet? A certain app, or will it run natively? I have only ever run Exp on a Windows PC. 
Thanks in advance!

Splashtop or Remote Desktop (RD) Android app works well.
For RD you need a "professional" Windows version.
If if you have a Windows Home Edition you could use "RDP Wrap tool".
You can find instructions on RDP wrap on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb6Jj6KFXNo

3/11/2023 4:59 pm  #16

I ended up going with the IPad mini 6 and a waterproof IP68 case from Armour-X.

My main concern was the sunlight readability of the screen but it seems most tablets are similar unless you go for something very specific for outdoor use. I also got an Apple Pencil to use with it as well so I will see how it goes.

On our boat the navigator is not a complete standalone role as they will also be doing the pit and it is just inshore racing so in the end I thought the smaller form factor of the mini would work well. We are doing a few regattas over the next couple of months so I will report back how it goes to help others making a similar decision.

Last edited by Samob (3/11/2023 5:00 pm)

3/13/2023 1:37 am  #17

Hi Chelsea, been a few days writing govt policy papers ... one does what one can to live.
In answer to your immediate question - and in doing this we may achieve the apparent limit - I would never use a solution that involves anything other than Windows when the problem is more than 24 hours offshore.  That way you can set up downstairs and upstairs solutions with Expedition potentially separate i.e. installed independently on both devices and having the possibility of GPS input separately.  Sure, 6 hour race, who cares if the iPad doesn't behave properly?  Walk downstairs or use your phone w Navionics.
And yes, I'm accustomed to wet boats whose electronics are dodgy after a year or so .... generously.
Try PM'íng again if you wish.  Campbell Field definitely has a greater wealth of experience in these things than moi.

3/13/2023 1:46 am  #18

And contrary to what others are saying, the rugged tablet market is - I think - burgeoning - think of Sailproof and Rugged Tablets NZ as well as the obvious manufacturers of devices intended for slaughterworks, military and surveying, yes I grant you none of them saline environments.
There is probably on this website a separate tab for tabletty things.

3/13/2023 6:36 am  #19

DuncanR wrote:

Hi Chelsea, been a few days writing govt policy papers ... one does what one can to live.
In answer to your immediate question - and in doing this we may achieve the apparent limit - I would never use a solution that involves anything other than Windows when the problem is more than 24 hours offshore.  That way you can set up downstairs and upstairs solutions with Expedition potentially separate i.e. installed independently on both devices and having the possibility of GPS input separately.  Sure, 6 hour race, who cares if the iPad doesn't behave properly?  Walk downstairs or use your phone w Navionics.
And yes, I'm accustomed to wet boats whose electronics are dodgy after a year or so .... generously.
Try PM'íng again if you wish.  Campbell Field definitely has a greater wealth of experience in these things than moi.

Yep 100% agree, two windows setups for longer than 24hours. Hence I went for the xplore104 back when we started taking Shogun V offshore (now that was a wet boat!!!!).  Still not seen one as good as that for really offshore work, the Messa3 is close.

For inshore I’m now getting tempted by having two super cheap androids (for battery life). I will test two sub $100 ones that claim IP65 (enough for inshore racing on a big boat).

4/26/2023 12:53 pm  #20

I buy a 2-year-old iPad with at least a 10in screen.  Splashtop works great to connect with our CF-53 downstairs.  I find a case that has a shoulder strap and a hand strap on a swivel.  The primary function of the case is impact protection.  it's about USD500 all in.  Plan to replace every 2 years.  iPads don't like being wet- with or without a waterproof case- touch screen usability just becomes a nightmare.  I store the iPad in a waterproof bag on deck if waves are coming over the bow.  More often than not, I use a chest harness with a drop-down sleeve for the iPad.  

Board footera