Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2023 7:20 am  #1

Software to install

Good day,

I for some time I am reading in the forum, now my first post. Very good an informative forum!
I just bought a new navigation laptop. What software are you using on a regular base, and is good to have installed (paid and free)? 
Up to now I have:
Expedition4D with charts
Squid
Office with excel

Happy to get some further inspiration
Kind regards

2/22/2023 7:38 am  #2

Re: Software to install

I really like using OneNote to keep notes/info...
Ethereal for network diagnosis...
Something that can open com ports to verify traffic.
PDF of the RRS and NORs and SIs...
I use OneDrive to keep everything archived after racing (I'm not syncing one drive while racing)
Personally, I have Visual Studio + Python installed in case I need to process something or extract data from something wierd -- never needed it during a race but have used it while setting up a boat.
Gimp for image processing/viewing.
iTunes -- to listen to music when I needed so I only need my phone for bunk time music...
Predict Wind Offshore
Squid
Excel (Office 365)
WSL2 image with ubuntu (again for data processing/poking -- not used during racing but handy during setup/debug)
Expedition4D + installers for previous versions in case I hit a bug and need to downgrade (only happened once but once was enough!)

Otherwise I try to keep everything installed to a minimum.

Extra bits:
Ethernet cables - usb cables - apple cables - NMEA2000 cables - NMEA2000 terminators - USB serial port - Extra USB WiFi

2/23/2023 1:31 am  #3

Thanks, that helps.
Could you give small examples what you do with Visual Studio / Python, and with WSL2? What are some usecases?
Kind regards

2/23/2023 2:41 am  #4

I've banged out scripts to sort GRIB files, compare polars, clean up restricted areas from SIs into Expedition importable data... I'm generally too lazy to clean up and generalise the scripts so they are more of stubs of code that I use to solve specific problems when I hit them.
I find WSL really useful when troubleshooting networks. But I've also used WSL to pull down files and things during racing with curl/wget. The most current weather charts from NOAA have fixed URLs for example.

I'm more a unix/linux guy on the command line so

Board footera