Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2016 10:57 pm  #1

Up & Downwind courses

Typically our up and downwind races are:

start 
upwind mark *nm @ xxx degrees
2 or 3 laps

The downwind mark is never posted but is usually 0,1-0,15 from the ship (starboard ping) and a bit to the left. The finish line is to starboard of the ship (everything referenced from aft of the start line).

I am not sure if this is typical elsewhere but if so, as far as I now Ventus does not have a quick routine for this?
It makes perfect sense to me to make it so that you can automatically set the downwind mark as a relative position and just say

upwind mark xxx yyy
3 laps?

5/24/2016 6:16 am  #2

Re: Up & Downwind courses

With Ventus PRO you can ping marks by range and bearing from the boat, or from the current active mark. Since all race committees do it differently as to how and where they may put a leeward mark it is up to you to ping that mark's location. You can either take your boat to the starting line and ping the marks from there, or once you ping the starting marks just make the boat end the active mark and then ping the windward and leeward marks from there.

Last edited by VentusNavigation (5/24/2016 6:17 am)

5/24/2016 12:08 pm  #3

and laps?
and finish (starboard end)?

5/24/2016 3:57 pm  #4

You have to count those yourself :-) You can ping the marks for the finish line or just use the same one for start if the boat is in the same location.

Board footera