Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2020 8:58 am  #1

Maintain boat settings for multiple boats...

I use my copy both at home and on boats that I race on. It would be really and if all the boat specific configuration could be together and even better if you could maintain boat profiles.

Having to go around and change mast scalling and polars and network setting and boat properties in the start configuration is error prone and easy to screw up.

8/26/2020 6:28 am  #2

Re: Maintain boat settings for multiple boats...

+1

I run Expedition on my Mesa2 and navigate on different boats I race on. Running Expedition natively on the deck screen appears to become more and more popular. Often still with a boat PC/Laptop installed, sometimes as the only PC onboard.

This is my cheat sheet of what to change from boat to boat:
1. Change networking as required
        (if req.) Set boat PC to receive Marks, Tm2Gn
2. Change Polars
        Nav, Perf, Start, Heel, other polars as required
        Set correct percentages
3. (if req.) Set System > Start units to Tactician's preferred units
4. Set User > Boat name
5. (if req.) Edit User Channels
6. Set Boat racing/start > Boat dimensions
7. Set Boat racing/start > Start calibrations
8. Set Weather > Scale wind accordingly

@sparky: Anything you would add to the above?
__PRESENT__PRESENT

Last edited by voodoomatz (8/26/2020 6:30 am)

8/26/2020 10:56 pm  #3

The easiest way to keep settings for multiple boats is probably to make a backup of the Expedition data folder and the Expedition Windows Registry key.    Then, depending on which boat your are gonna sail on,  restore the backup that was saved for that specific boat.

The only disadvantage of this method is when you want to make a change in an Expedition setting (e.g. add a number box) which you want to apply to all boats.  In that case you need to redo this change for all your saved backups.

8/26/2020 11:14 pm  #4

Exactly, there is pros/cons for both methods.
Key is, both are very tedious. I can imagine writing a "Profile feature" could a lot of work, but it would make a huge difference to those of us traveling with their own nav device.__PRESENT

8/27/2020 12:39 am  #5

I think you got most of it.

I also keep a database per boat...
I adjust safety depth per boat and per owner/skipper comfort level. (I've sailed with owners that don't want to be in less than 4m and some that want less than a ft between the keel and the bottom when taking up a shore. So I like to have a contours to help keep an eye on it.

8/27/2020 4:38 am  #6

Sparky,
I say this half in jest; but the best answer is to convince the owner to have a boat computer loaded with Exp and tweaked to his particular boat!

It puts a lot of pressure on the nav/tac to make sure all these boxes get ticked when switching from boat to boat. And if you screw up the owner won't likely say "oh well, it's my fault, I should have had a boat PC dedicated to this boat"!

Cheers,
Ernie

8/28/2020 9:36 am  #7

Ernie M wrote:

Sparky,
I say this half in jest; but the best answer is to convince the owner to have a boat computer loaded with Exp and tweaked to his particular boat!

It puts a lot of pressure on the nav/tac to make sure all these boxes get ticked when switching from boat to boat. And if you screw up the owner won't likely say "oh well, it's my fault, I should have had a boat PC dedicated to this boat"!

Cheers,
Ernie

I have been involved with a number of boats/owners making the transition from either purely inshore racing or moving from paper pilotage to actual race navigation (mostly after buying a new boat). Often telling them OK - now spend another few grand on a computer navigation system is a hard sell until I can show them what they get over using their simple chart plotter for racing. Sometimes (as with the J111 program - it's less a hardsell and more first we need to get a handle on the current systems in the boat so we no what we want to put in as a replacement this winter.)

Board footera