Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2020 5:26 pm  #1

how to get NMEA data Wirelessly

Hi all,
What is the easiest way to Wirelessly get NEMA data to expedition on a tablet computer (getac t800)? There is a computer with xp down below wired into the system, but I dont know what the best way to get the data on deck, ie. (what the best local network device to use. going from the computer to the tablet or just directly to the tablet.)

thanks, 
Griffin 

6/10/2020 6:39 pm  #2

Re: how to get NMEA data Wirelessly

I'm not sure if you mean NMEA 0183 or 2000.  All the smartphone and tablet apps that I'm familiar with work with NMEA 0183. 

The Shipmodul Miniplex-3WI-N2k will connect to both plus combine (multiplex) signals from multiple NMEA 0183 devices plus convert NMEA 2000 to 0183 so your iPad or other wifi device can understand it. 

If you are only connecting a single NMEA device like a GPS or an instrument system that has an NMEA 0183 output you can simply connect a wifi gateway like the Digital Yacht Win10. 

Some devices like the B&G Vulcan chart plotters and Vesper XB-8000 AIS have built in wifi and will convert everything they receive on their networks to NMEA 0183.  Just follow the instructions in the user manual.

If you could post more details on exactly what electronics you have it would be possible to provide a better answer.

Having your instruments and nav info on your phone or tablet is really useful.  You'll like it!

6/10/2020 6:52 pm  #3

After re-reading your question I see you want to run Expedition on your tablet.  I suspect the Easiest thing would be to run Expedition on the below deck computer and use RDP or splash top to duplicate the screen on the tablet.  There are a ton of how tos on YouTube
If the PC doesn't have wifi just plug in a usb dongle and set up a peer to peer connection.

6/10/2020 11:03 pm  #4

You can run Connectify Hotspot on your PC to create a Wifi hotspot that your tablet can connect to.

6/11/2020 3:49 am  #5

Currently, I have a H2000 system, (a little old but it does the job) that uses NEMA 0183 as well, that has an rs232 connection coming out of the preformance processor, that hooks directly up to the computer down below. As of now, there is no wifi on the boat. The tablet I have is a full pc as well so in theory, I guess it could work as its own totally different system to the computer but just getting the information wirelessly, and not having a link between the 2. Not too sure if that is how it works though Having the data up on deck will be awesome because having to get down to the "nav station" on a Mini is a process on its own!

Thanks!

6/11/2020 3:53 am  #6

There also is a Furuno gp32 GPS that feeds into the NEMA stream as well.

6/12/2020 2:47 pm  #7

I've an H2000 Hercules system too. Exp works really well with it using the serial link (B&G H-Link) and this allows you to pump Exp channels back into the B&G to display on deck. I'd run exp on the computer below decks and then either mirror the screen on you tablet as others have suggested, or run exp on the tablet as well using the exp install below to stream the data on deck via some wifi network. I've not done it but I believe exp is designed to allow you to relay data in just this manner. The wifi network should be easy on a mini (unless there's lots of carbon) - you might well just be able to use the below deck PC as the access point if it has wifi hardware. 

Board footera