Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2020 4:24 am  #1

B&G H5000 + Garmin Quatix 6 watch + Garmin GNT10

Anyone with experience from the above combination of hardware?

Considering buying the watch and GNT10, but interested in hearing if anyone has experience with letting it play with B&G H5000

5/07/2020 4:52 am  #2

Re: B&G H5000 + Garmin Quatix 6 watch + Garmin GNT10

I think an articulation of what you are trying to achieve might help.

5/07/2020 5:14 am  #3

Not sure what you are asking for, or if it's a question, but I'll try to clarify:
I am considering to use the Garmin Quatix 6, and get NMEA2k to that device from N2k canbus via the Garmin GNT10 on a network dominated by B&G H5000 hardware. I want to know if anyone else has experience or thoughts about this setup.

Last edited by lutt (5/07/2020 5:14 am)

5/09/2020 6:51 pm  #4

Hi, my understanding is that you only get the standard NMEA2000 sentences. None of the custom channels work this way. So it is a bit of a disappointment.

5/10/2020 2:28 am  #5

Thanks.

I've also heard that it doesn't show the calculated sentences from the H5000 cpu correctly. Like true wind data. Which is even worse.

I bought the watch (for the maps), dropped buying the GNT.

Last edited by lutt (5/10/2020 2:28 am)

5/10/2020 2:36 am  #6

I have just got a Quatix 6 and so far I really like it. It’s got a number of features that the 5 did not have. These include heart rate reading while swimming, the chart feature, and an 02 oxygen sats feature.
You can get all the expedition data Onto the watch using  an actisense USB converter and some Garmin displays which have the ANT protocol. This is similar to what some of the TP52’s do.

5/18/2020 2:48 pm  #7

Will, 

I received one from Garmin to use at Heineken on the old Mapfre.... I also enjoyed it and started linking it as well.  I am continuing to enjoy it while locked down.  I highly recommend the Quatix 6.

willoxley wrote:

I have just got a Quatix 6 and so far I really like it. It’s got a number of features that the 5 did not have. These include heart rate reading while swimming, the chart feature, and an 02 oxygen sats feature.
You can get all the expedition data Onto the watch using  an actisense USB converter and some Garmin displays which have the ANT protocol. This is similar to what some of the TP52’s do.

Schafer 
+1240 401 8220

9/26/2022 6:39 am  #8

willoxley wrote:

Hi, I would love to receive the Expedition data on a Garmin watch, but strggeling how to get this done.
You mention "an actisense USB converter" and "some Garmin displays which have the ANT protocol".

What kind of converer do you use and what Garmin displays do you mean? 

Happy to hear tips on this .

Thanks

9/29/2022 1:30 am  #9

mitchell14 wrote:

willoxley wrote:

Hi, I would love to receive the Expedition data on a Garmin watch, but strggeling how to get this done.
You mention "an actisense USB converter" and "some Garmin displays which have the ANT protocol".

What kind of converer do you use and what Garmin displays do you mean? 

Happy to hear tips on this .

Thanks

Hi Mitchell,
I want to have access to things like layline times/ load cell readings etc and these are not standard NMEA2000 sentences. So I use an Actisense NGT1 to send the data from Expedition onto the NMEA 2000 network (https://actisense.com/products/ngt-1-nmea-2000-to-pc-interface/). You can select this as an option under Instruments in Expedition.
The next thing is to get the data from the NMEA2000 network onto your watch. As discussed earlier, the GARMIN NGT-10 (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/124640) only sends std NMEA sentences.
The Garmin GNX wind display (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/541645) sends data wirelessly using the ANT technology and this is what the watches use.
Many Garmin plotters also have the ability to send the data using ANT as well. Hope this helps. Cheers, Will. 

10/02/2022 8:00 am  #10

Thanks, That is useful.
Although not the solution for boats that don't have Garmin displays on board.
I think receiving certain Expedition data on a (Garmin) watch can be so useful, but there seems no easy way to establish this, so it seems

Board footera