Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2020 9:55 am  #1

YB Text File Position Reports via Iridium

It has been awhile since I have had to use the Iridium email request for YellowBrick position reports.  As I remember, the comma separated text file needed to be reformatted somehow before loading into Expedition.  Are the YB files OK just as you receive them, or do they need to be modified?  If so, how?

2/15/2020 5:58 pm  #2

Re: YB Text File Position Reports via Iridium

You have to have 2 files in the same folder, I usually make a folder on the desktop for each race.  For instance for last years Caribbean 600 (c6002019) those 2 files are:

c6002019-boatids.txt
c6002019-expedition.txt
You only need to retrieve the boat id file once.   You can request it through saildocs:
http://yb.tl/c6002019-expedition.txt
Once you have both files you can manually import through expedition.
You will also need a second expedition.txt file (typically rewritten each 15, 30, or 60 minutes during a race).  You will overwrite the file in your folder and import to expedition again.  Make sure not to delete the boatids file, it must remain in the same folder.
You also need a weather grid loaded in expedition to create the time in order for the boats to show up.  Remember that some races are delayed through YB so they show up in the past.  

Hope that this helps.

2/15/2020 5:59 pm  #3

No modifications are needed to the .txt files, you just need to be sure that the boatids file is in the same folder when you import to expedition.

2/17/2020 2:34 pm  #4

Thanks much.

Board footera