Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2020 6:10 am  #11

Re: Will's new book

Hi Will,
I have both of your books and they're great. I would vote for option #2.
Even though there isn't really a single resource on all the areas of navigation, I think that's a good thing. Covering everything would mean your book would be either huge or incomplete. This would put it firmly in the realm of reference books that you buy but don't read cover to cover, and there are enough of those in the genre. Secondly, it's good to have experts weigh in on different areas of expertise. For instance your book is excellent for Expedition, and David Burch's Modern Marine Weather is excellent for weather. I don't want one with both because the Expedition information changes quickly but the weather fundamentals don't. Lastly, navigators are a naturally curious bunch. It's okay for us to have to find the right resource for the right set of skills. 

There are a few topics in which there is a market gap, however. 
1) There's no good book summarizing strategy for a specific set of famous races. Something like, here are the climate conditions and tactics for the Transpac, Sydney-Hobart, Fastnet, Newport-Bermuta etc. 
2) There's no good book on oceanography and geology as it pertains to offshore navigation.  
3) I'd love a book of stories from someone like you, that chronicles your races, ups and downs, progressions, etc. 

Just my 2 cents and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by jweisbaum (2/11/2020 6:11 am)

github.com/jweisbaum

2/11/2020 10:42 am  #12

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently working on an updated edition of the Modern Race Navigation with new chapters and all chapters updated. I have in mind a book like point one... just don't want to give ALL my secrets away yet. Book 3 is for retirement... :-)
Cheers, Will.

2/11/2020 12:08 pm  #13

That's what I figured

github.com/jweisbaum

2/13/2020 8:43 pm  #14

#1, 2 and 3 all interest me!

I would like to see some real world case studies using Expedition application - eg how you/some other experienced users configure number boxes, and screen setup for example and the application usage, for example the type of useful communication/information conveyed to the helm.  What works, what doesn't or is information overload.
I see some time and distance calls on the Super Series in boat videos - would be good to break that down into the information, how it can be used and the impacts of using/not using or how it works - if that makes sense!!

5/13/2020 10:25 pm  #15

Hi, I've been adapting to this Covid-19 world and spent the time at home looking at different ways of providing information and training on Race Navigation. After a YouTube video on Historical routing analyses (See https://youtu.be/kA8H25VUE_4) and, while in the middle of some online training sessions with Wapala Training, here is the first in a series of articles.
I've been updating the Race Navigation Book but this is a big task so I thought I would break it down into bite size chunks and then publish these as they are ready. It is lots of work and back and forth with Nick making sure I have got it all correct but now I have finished the first one and I am really happy with it. I actually learnt quite a bit about the start package myself! I'm charging US9.99 per article which hopefully you think is good value!

The first one is about using Expedition software for race starts. The start package has improved greatly since my first book so I have fully updated the starting chapter with the latest information and more figures and tips and tricks. You can buy it now on Amazon. Hope you like it!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088K6M25Q/

5/16/2020 9:02 am  #16

Hey Will,
Glad to see you're keeping busy...our gain!
Just downloaded the new article and will read it soon.
Hopefully on a launched boat,
Cheers,
Ernie

Board footera