Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2020 8:54 am  #1

Fleet Broadband into WiFi 1?

The boat has H5000 perf, and it is connected to a B&G WiFi 1 device. I get H5000 websocket in Exp over that WiFi network without problem.

The boat also has a fleet broadband sat system, and i connect to it now with an ethernet cable from the device itself

The WiFi 1 has an empty port...

can I take the ethernet cable from the Fleet device and put it (with an adapter or new cable) into the WiFi 1, and connect to the Fleet device over the WiFi 1 network?

I note that both ports on the  B&G WiFi 1 are LAN ports.., and there is no WAN port on the device.

1/16/2020 12:24 pm  #2

Re: Fleet Broadband into WiFi 1?

US, I can't quite follow what you have in mind, and I'm dubious about running satphone over wifi in these days where crews have mobile phones in their pockets offshore.  Could give an owner stiicker shock.
What I generaly have is:
1. An ethernet LAN for the boat network including a WAP and an ethernet switch;
2. 4G and satphone ethernet connected to the ethernet switch, but with an additional selector switch between 4G and satphone;
That way wireless always works, satphone voice always works, and there is no possibility of expensive mistakes because 4G and satphone data are simultaneously live.
I can send you a diagram if you PM me.
Regards

1/16/2020 1:53 pm  #3

i understand about the expensive mistakes - but the password will hopefully stop that. anyway, we are on the "unlimited" Fleet One data plan.

So the way it works now;

The H5000 is connected to the B&G WiFi 1, and I connect with laptop over the WiFi 1 wireless network - the websocket connection works fine on the laptop.

The Fleet One, which is basically a Fleet Broadband 150, has an ethernet cable that plugs into the laptop

The problem arises when I am connected over wifi to the H5000, and am at the same time connected with ethernet to the sat device – the laptop is basically on two independent networks, and sometimes gets confused about where to look for which device – sometimes when I try to load the sat web page interface in the browser, it looks on the wifi  network, and sometimes when expedition (or a browser) is looking for the H5000, it looks on the ethernet network.

when that happens, nothing works..., so what i have to do is  disconnect from the wifi network and the H5000, when i want to go online, so that i am only on one network at a time.. I don't like doing this - i want to stay connected to the H5000 when i am online

It seems to me that a solution would be to have both devices on the same network - I am pretty sure the owner would like to keep the H5000 available over a wireless network

maybe just a regular wireless router instead of the wifi 1 would work

Last edited by us7070 (1/16/2020 1:54 pm)

1/17/2020 7:13 pm  #4

US, how does your 4G signal get to your laptop?
I have never used wifi to connect a laptop to a B&G processor, always ethernet or serial.

1/19/2020 11:56 am  #5

DuncanR wrote:

US, how does your 4G signal get to your laptop?
I have never used wifi to connect a laptop to a B&G processor, always ethernet or serial.

well, i am less concerned about 4G.., because i can't use it on an ocean race.., but we don't have a boat cell device.., i usually just plug my iphone into the laptop and it looks like an ethernet connection - when it works...

what i really want to solve is the issue of being on satellite internet and H5000 at the same time.

It seems like the best solution is maybe to be wired for both - maybe with an NGT-1 for the H5000, and the ethernet cable for the satellite internet.

i guess my only question is: if i use the USB and NGT-1 for data out of the H5000, will the ethernet out of the H5000 stay active?  that goes to the wifi-1, and we need that to work even if i am not using it during a race

1/19/2020 2:00 pm  #6

Wow, different way of doing things.  Here in Oz most ocena racing is coastal, as there isn't much to go to perpendicular to the coast whichever way you go.
I think you should be thinking about two IP ranges.  I know Fleet products like 192.168.0.1, I'd be inclined to put H5000 on 192.168.1.x to avoid any risk of confusion.

1/19/2020 2:50 pm  #7

my problem now isn't an ip problem - i am on two completely different networks at the same time

no matter what ip i assign to a device.., the computer could still look for that ip on the wrong network

i am sure there is some kind of solution that doesn't require hardware - on another boat a technician installed a network management program called netsetman on my laptop to manage network issues related to a complicated setup

anyway, many of our longer races on the east coast usa rely primarily on sat data - newport - bermuda, marblehead -halifax, even annapolis-newport is mostly out of cellular range.

with some races doing YB position updates every 15min, you don't want to be disconnecting from one network and connecting to another, to download new positions

1/20/2020 3:45 am  #8

I get it to a degree - I marvel at unlimited offshore satphone, I allow a budget of 100 MB a day out of 4G range, and that requires certain disciplines to be observed steadfastly - I don't get that it isn't a DHCP problem?

1/21/2020 1:34 pm  #9

US - What may be happening is both the Fleet and B&G are setup such that they individually are DHCP servers, in which case the default gateway on one network is the B&G and then the other is the Fleet unit.  When connected to one, do an "ipconfig" command record the results and then when only connected to the other do the same.  This will confirm the notion above.

What needs to happen is for one device to be the single DHCP server for the network, such that each device has the correct gateway ( which should be the Fleet device so that internet traffic can be routed through it ) and gets assigned an IP address from one server ( Fleet device ).  B&G is likely defaulted to be a DHCP server, but you should be able to set it up as a client ( or statically assign an IP address ) to it that matches the net mask and default gateway for the Fleet unit.

Happy to help if I can, drop me a DM.

Board footera