Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2019 9:23 am  #1

Serial to USB?

Maybe it's just me (?), but all my serial-to-USB adapters tend to stop working at the worst possible moment. Usually, a driver re-install is needed... and then it works for a while until something changes.  Use it to get a MOB event into Expedition. 

Are there a bulletproof way to do this in Windows 10? Brands? Drivers? Industrial adapters? Other pointers?

///Peter

12/05/2019 1:34 pm  #2

Re: Serial to USB?

I’d say best quality and reliability would be in the FTDI devices such as USB-RS422-WE-1800-BT or other variants from them. Available through most major resellers as Mouser, Digi-key. Use drivers from https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm.

Remember obvious thing to use correct protocol: RS232 or RS422 (such as NMEA0183 normally).

Most elegant is to avoid any usb-to-db9 adapter and wire the USB-adapter open-ended straight into the serial device or -feed.

1/07/2020 3:24 am  #3

Re: Serial to USB?

Peter, get the Digi Edgeport adapter. They and the Moxa are by far the most reliable ones. Usually the FTDI Adapters get a new COM Port everytime you swap the USB port - very annoying. The Digi driver checks the serial number of each adapter and assigns the old COM port number. 

Board footera