Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2020 7:48 pm  #1

"ensemble courses" (three Bridge Fiasco SFBAY)

Any simple way to run routing on multiple courses
We have a race coming that is a pursuit start at calculated time in either direction, go around three marks in any order/direction and finish. 
you can generalize as a triangle with the two course marks that the start line is between as first/last in forward/reversed directions, and solve for clockwise vs anti-clockwise 

When I run routing, it shows the timestamp of the weather file, and no where that I can find the active course and direction.

in a manner similar to the ensemble routing, I'd like to be able to setup and run multiple courses/directions sequentially vs different weather files to assess the choices, without having to export and re-label. 

Any thoughts? 

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

1/02/2020 10:57 am  #2

Re: "ensemble courses" (three Bridge Fiasco SFBAY)

Sheldon,
Maybe that's why they call it "Fiasco"!

We had a similar deal in New England on the East Coast last summer, the Wetherell Racs.  You could go around Block I in either direction and could either go inside Fishers I or not.  I just set several routes WRCW, WRCCW, WRFICW, WRFICCW, etc ran them all with the same start time.  Colour coded the lot and it was, after several runs, pretty easy to see the best for each WX model. 

The inside vs outside can sometimes be resolved by coding  a mark as a  race note rather than a mark of the course and seeing which side the optimizer 'picks'.

Probably not the tech answer you were hoping for but maybe will help

Ernie M

1/02/2020 12:26 pm  #3

Ernie,
That’s what I’m doing, I figured out how to rename solutions so I can code to course.

Next question is to use multiple weather files (days or ensemble) with same state of tide file. 

I have a source for actual HF radar doppler tide at 500 m resolution. May not be able to convert to grib in next weeks.

1/02/2020 2:16 pm  #4

Sheldon,
One trick you might like:
Find a local tide point for the start of the Fiasco say "Two Hours after flood at San Quentin" then find what time "Two Hours after flood at San Quentin" is TODAY.  Use that as the start time and run with todays WX and as many models as you have access to, you can do that every day until you get within 5 or 10 days of the actual  race then switch over to actual forecasts for race day.  It will give you a really good 'feel' for how the routing will work out with realistic wx variations.
E

1/02/2020 2:25 pm  #5

I can do that, was more hoping to be able to skew either tide/wind to enable alignment, need to go back and review what I can do to the delay on the Weather. The Time of day effects here are significant, more so in the summer with the Central Valley Thermal pulling convection sea breeze through the gate, but even in Winter we get a > 40 F degree difference Ocean to Modesto in the afternoon. Absent a storm and Southerly cyclonic winds we have a pretty consistent NW gradient, with strong intensity variations from 0900-1600. If we do have storm(s) then the rainfall in the foothills and runoff down the Sacramento and other rivers will muck with the tide forecast a bit, especially up by the Richmond Bridge delaying the minimum, weakening the flood current, and enhancing the ebb current. 

Such "fun" to be had 

Board footera