Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2019 9:27 am  #1

DC to AC Inverter or direct DC power

I'm setting up my laptop on the boat (Cal 40) and need to power it.  It seems like going with an AC inverter is easier but trying to connect to DC power is simpler under way (one less thing to worry about breaking) but requires a more complex set-up. 

What do you all do?

3/13/2019 9:58 pm  #2

Re: DC to AC Inverter or direct DC power

Running them directly on DC is most efficient. An internet search with your laptop's model & terms like "car charger" and similar will return either an OEM or aftermarket solution. 

3/14/2019 2:45 am  #3

Dunster is right...DC for sure!!

3/17/2019 8:21 am  #4

Check the power input to your laptop. They often require 19 to 20 VDC (check the AC power supply's transformer for VDC output). You may need to get (build, or cause to be built) a DC-DC voltage converter in order to user your boat's house power. But it will be the more efficient way!

3/22/2019 12:14 pm  #5

I needed 15VDC for my PC and purchased a DC-DC converter on Amazon.  Works well and is very efficient. You can size an inverter based the voltage and current requirements.  I added a rocker switch with a red LED indicator so that I can easily turn it off and see the status of the power switch.

Board footera