Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2016 4:32 pm  #1

How should I manage workflow between multiple systems.

My plan is to have a fixed PC installed on the boat.    We'll also have a laptop of some sort that will serve as as a backup expedition host during races and as an at home data analysis & planning tool.
So after each race or training session I need to move all of the data collected on the fixed system to the portable system then prior to each race I need to move the work done at home back to the onboard PC.

Can I simply copy the entire Expedition data folder back & forth ?  This seemed like the safest way to ensure that all the internal databases stay in sync and the entire state & configuration remained consistent between the two systems.

I understand the risk of copying things like that so I would do this via incremental backup software so I'd be able to bring either data file back to any point in time.   I'd also have full image backups of both machines.

Is there a better way of doing this ?

2/21/2016 9:09 pm  #2

Re: How should I manage workflow between multiple systems.

Gams, this seems like lots of work for no particular purpose, especially as most of what I suspect you want to keep in common  is not actually in "the database" i.e. the *.mdb file, but in separate folders.  It is instructive to delete the *.mdb file and see what changes in Expedition ..... not much.
I do pre-race routings and post-race analysis from the warmth and comfort of home with a big desktop with a big screen, all definitely non-waterproof.  Post-race analysis is fed by:
a) The log file or files from the race
b) The Events file.  I use SPP software, but Expedition has that capacity also.
At race end  I copy those files from the ship computer into DropBox, and then do analysis back home.  If that analysis leads to changes in Crossovers or Polars, they go back into DropBox and pick them up again on ship computer next time.  Having a ship Hotmail account also works, it depends what helps you remember.
I sometimes think of keeping Marks folder in common also, but not a big deal.

2/23/2016 8:52 am  #3

Re: How should I manage workflow between multiple systems.

DuncanR wrote:

Gams, this seems like lots of work for no particular purpose, especially as most of what I suspect you want to keep in common  is not actually in "the database" i.e. the *.mdb file, but in separate folders.  It is instructive to delete the *.mdb file and see what changes in Expedition ..... not much.
I do pre-race routings and post-race analysis from the warmth and comfort of home with a big desktop with a big screen, all definitely non-waterproof.  Post-race analysis is fed by:
a) The log file or files from the race
b) The Events file.  I use SPP software, but Expedition has that capacity also.
At race end  I copy those files from the ship computer into DropBox, and then do analysis back home.  If that analysis leads to changes in Crossovers or Polars, they go back into DropBox and pick them up again on ship computer next time.  Having a ship Hotmail account also works, it depends what helps you remember.
I sometimes think of keeping Marks folder in common also, but not a big deal.

Similar approach on our end, but we use a Gmail account for the boat, and take advantage of Google Drive rather than Drop Box.

Board footera