Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2018 5:25 am  #1

Reanalysis Grib

Hello,

does anyone know where I can download reanalysis grib files?
Best would be for free.
I need the area of the north Atlantic. I want to make routings in the past to plan an Transatlantic Trip.

Thanks

1/09/2019 9:09 am  #2

Re: Reanalysis Grib

Hi,

https://apps.ecmwf.int/datasets/data/interim-full-daily/levtype=sfc/

You will have to set up an account. Cumbersome but it works.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/11/2019 9:58 am  #3

the most efficient way to do it is to run python scripts that request the exact date range, variables, and geographic range that you want.

I have been doing this for quite a while. It works really well - a simple 15 or 20 line script is submitted to their server, and you get, for example; reanalysis for the entire atlantic ocean for a period of 3 months, 4 reanalysies per day - 6hrs apart, wind speed and direction, MSLP, temp.., all delivered in one grib file to your computer. it typically takes anywhere from a few min to an hour for their server to process the request - depending on how heavy the load on the server is.

However.., the EC is now in the process changing the access to the reanalysis data.., and while (I believe) scripts will still work.., the process will be different and the scripts will have to be re-written.

This change is occurring within the next few days.., and after years of using the old system, I am just trying to figure out the new system.

Last edited by us7070 (1/11/2019 9:59 am)

1/18/2019 10:55 am  #4

just wanted to update my comment above about the reanalysis...
i have been switching to the new reanalysis data access method- python scripts still work.., and my first impression is that it might be faster; all my requests are processed within minutes, rather than some taking an hour or so, as was happening in the past.

2/11/2019 8:47 pm  #5

us7070 wrote:

just wanted to update my comment above about the reanalysis...
i have been switching to the new reanalysis data access method- python scripts still work.., and my first impression is that it might be faster; all my requests are processed within minutes, rather than some taking an hour or so, as was happening in the past.

Do you have any interest in sharing your scripts?  I knew a little bit about a lot of programming languages, but not enough to do anything meaningful with any of them, ha....

2/13/2019 9:43 am  #6

actually, the new system has a tool that writes the requests for you.

2/13/2019 9:45 am  #7

Yes I found the website and made a request yesterday and saw that.  The website is very easy to use on it's own, so this is great compared to other options I have looked at.

Thanks

2/20/2019 11:03 am  #8

i think EC must be throttling the server - i am getting ~2MB per min for the last few days...
the python requests process immediately.., but files take a long time to download - mine are ~100MB, so 50 - 60 min.

Last edited by us7070 (2/20/2019 11:05 am)

2/22/2019 9:52 am  #9

curious if there is a similarly easy interface for the GFS? or on that note if anyone has compared the reanalysis  data from the two models?  I am assuming there is little difference but interested to see.

2/28/2019 8:32 pm  #10

Nick... can I ask how this was prepared?  It appears on the downloads page and is what the few of us on this thread are desiring to do.  I do see Campbell's link and am investigating that.  Lot of people know they want to do this but very few seem to know how...  In addition to Campbell's link I've just received some info from Joe Siekenwicz on a possible GFS method...  will try and remember to report back on that...NOAA Reanalysis GRIB dataTranspac 1970-2005

Board footera