Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2019 9:44 pm  #1

Routing vs actual track post race

Always in pursuit of ways of creating learnings from each race, post race.  I have a very complicated "Report Card", which requires ruthless simplification, but that's a WIP.
My latest bright idea is to produce an image of optimal routings compared to actual track sailed from the logfile, most likely as an image of Expedition track pasted into Word.  That requires both routings and actual track simultaneously in Expedition.
Is there a way of recalling past routings, other than by reloading the GRIBs and re-running the optimisations with all settings present and correct?

1/17/2019 11:55 pm  #2

Re: Routing vs actual track post race

DuncanR wrote:

Always in pursuit of ways of creating learnings from each race, post race.  I have a very complicated "Report Card", which requires ruthless simplification, but that's a WIP.
My latest bright idea is to produce an image of optimal routings compared to actual track sailed from the logfile, most likely as an image of Expedition track pasted into Word.  That requires both routings and actual track simultaneously in Expedition.
Is there a way of recalling past routings, other than by reloading the GRIBs and re-running the optimisations with all settings present and correct?

Turn the optimal route path into a route as it is generated then recall it when post race processing with track displayed on screen.

1/18/2019 1:59 am  #3

Hey NJ, slow down, I'm an old bloke and slow of hearing.  Give me the steps in one syllable.  At a time.

1/18/2019 8:43 am  #4

DuncanR wrote:

Hey NJ, slow down, I'm an old bloke and slow of hearing.  Give me the steps in one syllable.  At a time.

Sorry DuncanR

When you create an optimal route you are given the option of exporting the results to a CSV, Marks or a GPX file. If you hit the Marks option the optimal route is saved as a route. Note - It doesn't impact any active route you may have running, it just creates a new route.

In your post race/event wash-up session you can activate as many ( or as few ) of the optimal routing routes as you want and compare them with your loaded track.

The whole thing requires an extra step ( the export to marks ) when you are routing but I think this will facilitate what you are after.

Hope that helps.

Paul 

1/18/2019 10:49 am  #5

or just don't delete whatever optimal routing you want to compare your actual track to...
i usually keep a few pre-departure optimal routes just to compare.

1/18/2019 4:13 pm  #6

Thanks people, US I'd have dozens of the bloody things on the go. if I kept them.
Mental note for next time .... export route to Marks.  Having just now given it a go, is there any way of removing the "Opt" labels from the track?

1/18/2019 5:06 pm  #7

i usually just keep one or maybe two from before i leave - not all of them!

1/18/2019 10:31 pm  #8

US
The problem I can see is I may do as many as 8 different routes at one time - 4 different GRIBs x 2 (without imposed waypoints and with imposed waypoints) .....

Board footera