Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2018 12:35 pm  #1

​Expedition in Multi-PC Implementations

I am configuring a network on a “new to us” boat that includes an existing Panasonic ToughPad (Windows 10) for use on deck and a new laptop below that will handle most of the traditional navigation functions.  This is a new environment for me, so I wanted to reach out to users in this community to get an idea of best practices.
My basic intent is to use the ToughPad on deck for navigation from the rail, monitoring other boat’s AIS signatures, tactical data I don’t ordinarily feed to instruments, and basic strip chart functions.  Ideally I would set courses, download gribs, run optimizations, etc. only below.

Q1 – Should I run two instances of Expedition or only one?  In the past, I have used an iPad running SplashTop on deck (with mixed results on connectivity).  It would be a plus to leave the pad usable on deck while I am working on the laptop below.

Q2 – If running two instances, should the pad be set up as a slave?  Is there anything we would give up by doing so?

Q3 – In either case, if running two instances, how do I make sure BandG H5000 data is sent to both devices, but only the laptop sends data back to BandG?

Q4 – If running only one instance, what application do people prefer for controlling the laptop from the pad: SplashTop, Team Viewer, Remote Desktop, something else?

8/04/2018 8:41 pm  #2

Re: ​Expedition in Multi-PC Implementations

Larry, you are asking The Big Questions of Life in this post.
I have been thinking similarly, but a little different, about an ideal setup of two identical portable devices, both capable of being either the host or remote, with the host below plugged into a keyboard and screen (for ease of use, but also doing the more complex things one can do at sea, e.g. spreadsheets, rating calcs etc), and the device on deck in remote mode but capable of being the one device operating if the other fails.  So both devices loaded with Expedition, capable of accepting wireless instrument feeds, GPS, AIS etc etc etc.  The owner has to have deep pockets, as my favourite device is from Xtreme .... ouch for two of them.
Q1.  One at any one time, but I have never had connectivity issues;
Q2. Slave, the old manager in me says "one source of truth";
Q3, Good question, how would B&G resolve conflicts if both were capable?
Q4, Splashtop.  Maybe it is a setting thing, but in my experience MS RDTop sends the host to sleep when the remote is active, which means disconnecting the remote if you want to do anything downstairs; Perhaps someone can answer this for me, but I have yet to get Splashtop create a connection out of internet range, it just wants to verify "me" on the server.  So then I am forced to use RDT or fire up the satphone.
Happy to debate.

8/05/2018 4:51 am  #3

Thanks Duncan; good insight, and yes, the on-deck pad does become the back-up (previous owner of the boat used the pad only, but they did not do distance races.

As regards no. 4 with Splashtop, here is a simple solution I have used offshore.  Use a MiFi card to connect to the internet (or an iPhone functioning as a personal hotspot for that matter).  Connect both devices to that device.establishing a network (sort of, but enough for SplashTop).  The devices will remain connected even though none have access to the internet beyond the boat.

8/06/2018 12:47 am  #4

Larry .... or Lazza as you would be here.  Your last comment is on the money, once the handshake is established you can sail out of internet sight .... until the battery runs out and you have to switch tablet off to change it.  I get 8-10 hours out of a battery, so the requirement arises roughly twice a day.  There is a Splashtop product which should get around this problem (i.e. connect without handshake), but I haven't made it work - noting that testing at dock with full internet rather hides the problem ....

Board footera