Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2018 10:37 pm  #11

Re: Recommended laptop specs

Don't know, but the Lenovo T440 (a normal laptop) that I use has a touch screen but it turns out that I never use it; I always use the mouse.
Probably better (and lighter) to use a normal tablet on deck using Microsoft Remote Desktop app?  That at least works for me.

4/04/2018 1:56 am  #12

ZeeZee wrote:

Don't know, but the Lenovo T440 (a normal laptop) that I use has a touch screen but it turns out that I never use it; I always use the mouse.
Probably better (and lighter) to use a normal tablet on deck using Microsoft Remote Desktop app?  That at least works for me.

We had the T431s for since 2013 (w remote screens on deck) and it's been great.

But it's taking some abuse sitting in its dock in the nav station, and I'd prefer a more protected location. To fit a 2-in-1 into a carbon case mounted "as a screen" on the bulkhead would both make it more secure, drawing less power than separate PC/screen and being removable for analysis work. 

But, for some reason, I haven't seen this setup anywhere else (can be a bad sign),

4/04/2018 4:35 am  #13

Interesting thread.  Are we now talking about what's on a laptop down below, or what's available remotely on whatever pad-thingy best helps you now?  And I acknowledge there are crossovers.  This conversation is about the specs and size of the laptop that sits somewhere safe and dry.  Taking remote devices off it's data is a somewhat different question.
And I am not trying to shut the conversation down, you know Mao's famous
dictum.
Cheers

4/04/2018 5:20 am  #14

We've been using Dell's ruggedised 2-in-1 (Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme), connected to instruments via a NMEA-to-Wifi gadget.

- Expedition works well on it, switching seamlessly between laptop and tablet mode, when you flip the screen

- Tablet mode has a stylus (tied to laptop so you don't lose it) making it easier in the wet weather with gloves on (although touchscreen does also work).

- While the laptop stays at the nav station most of the time, the water-proof/shock-proof portability allows navigator to get on deck and look around occasionally (always a good thing!), as well as helping communicate plans & thoughts with crew on deck.

- Negatives of it: price, weight and 12" screen (12" is actually fine, but as ZeeZee says, larger is better here)

I wouldn't have it as a permanent fixture on deck though: Ventus on iPad for numbers & simple controls, does the job and less debilitating if it breaks/goes overboard.

4/05/2018 4:05 am  #15

The risk to The Single Source of Truth being carried onto deck terrifies me.  I have had to nav a race with a handheld GPS and paper charts, you don't get to sleep much.  And yes, I could once use a sextant and tables .... but I must have mislaid them!
To paraphrase, there is no way I'd let my primary source of nav exposed on deck.  Risk = moderate, consequence = catastrophic. 

4/10/2018 7:41 am  #16

The best setup I have used is a Getac F110 mounted below, with wired and wireless comms for all connections, a BT mouse and keyboard. Then a Mesa2 on deck with UDP data passed <->. 

Benefits: 
1. Both devices can act as primary navigation units - networked together all files can be shared
2. Both devices very rugged & Mesa2 battery exceptional
3. Lose the Mesa2 and the Getac can be taken on deck if required
4. Lose the Getac and the Mesa 2 can take over as primary

Mesa2 screen is excellent but small (but v high res). My eyes are also not 25yo any more either, but iclip specs for night time and hydrotacs on sunnies for daytime work a treat.

Last edited by Campbell_Field (4/10/2018 7:43 am)

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

4/10/2018 2:30 pm  #17

Campbell, welcome to the glasses-as-assets club ... unfortunately.  I understand your pain, I am looking for a pair of glasses with windscreen wipers .... solar powered.
If I understand you correctly, in normal mode the Getac sits down below and talks to the instruments (wired or wireless, does not matter unless the Mesa dies) and the Mesa on deck shows a Getac screen capture via RDP or whatever app you like,  Additionally however, if the Getac dies, the Mesa is loaded with a copy of Expedition which can be fired up and which gets and sends data to instruments?  Or are you running two entirely parallel boxes, both running Expedition separately?
Cheers

4/10/2018 7:46 pm  #18

We mount the laptop in a protected area, lid closed.  USB 3 display, keyboard, mouse at the nav station.  If any of the nav station kit goes South,  the laptop can be brought out and used directly on the nav station.  We'll also try Splashtop this year for when we are feeling brave enough to bring an IPad on deck.

3/06/2019 8:55 am  #19

DuncanR wrote:

Campbell, welcome to the glasses-as-assets club ... unfortunately.  I understand your pain, I am looking for a pair of glasses with windscreen wipers .... solar powered.
If I understand you correctly, in normal mode the Getac sits down below and talks to the instruments (wired or wireless, does not matter unless the Mesa dies) and the Mesa on deck shows a Getac screen capture via RDP or whatever app you like,  Additionally however, if the Getac dies, the Mesa is loaded with a copy of Expedition which can be fired up and which gets and sends data to instruments?  Or are you running two entirely parallel boxes, both running Expedition separately?
Cheers

Tardy reply - sorry.

I typically run Expedition on both machines set up identically with data Tx/Rx Exp data over UDP - the primary machine below connected to the instruments and set as a slave in Exp Settings so any calculated data in the Mesa2 is passed through the remote channels. Should the deck screen die it is easy to return the downstairs machine to primary and carry on.

I find the data is a lot faster and more reliable this way than using RDP or other screen mirroring solutions, and should the connection be dropped can easily be reconnected using Exp Network reconnect.

For some inshore racing I connect the Mesa2 directly to the instruments over WiFi saving the weight and power consumption of an extra machine below.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/22/2021 1:22 am  #20

Folks:
Could you give your up to date specs (and/or recommendations on brands and models) for a navstation laptop.
Also interested in recommendations for a WiFI gateway.

(We use a navstation laptop running Expedition and then Ventus on iPhone and Mesa3 using RDP on deck when the going gets tough.)

Board footera