Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2017 1:09 pm  #11

Re: Caribbean charts

Yes - the charts are in the new format and did work on one install of expedition. I didn't verify a second install. Please let me know if you succeed on the second install.

12/07/2017 8:14 pm  #12

Today I purchased the NV 12.2 charts at a retailer near my home and I also downloaded the same charts from the NV website. Using the product key included in the kit of paper charts, I successfully installed the downloaded charts on two Windows PCs (my desktop at the house and my boat-to-boat laptop) and Expedition now uses those charts without issues.    

12/08/2017 6:04 am  #13

great - thanks for the info.

has anyone compared the NV charts with the C-Map? I have an older (~6 years) C-Map for that region installed on expedition now on my laptop. 

Do you like one better than the other for this region?

my panasonic toughpad tablet has no charts and i was mostly getting the NV charts for that.., but i guess i could get another newer C-map license. 

2/05/2018 7:00 pm  #14

mike@honner.com wrote:

What's odd is that I purchased the same charts last year through iNavX and they downloaded directly into my app and were much cheaper.

I think that if you get them through iNavX they are $59 vs $79 if you buy the chart book, but the iNavX purchase is a subscription for 1 year, you can only use them in iNavX, and i think you don't get a chart book.

So the chart book is a better deal - you get 5 installations, the license lasts forever, and you get the paper charts. The only problem is that it looks like inavx can not be one of your 5 installations  - if you want to use your charts on an iphone or ipad, you have to use the NV app - for me it will just be a backup, so i guess that's okay

2/11/2018 9:56 am  #15

I am glad i bought the NV charts - as I found a problem with my installed C-map charts

The Island of Redonda, which  is a mark of the course in the C-600 is incorrectly located in C-map

This is because in sourcing the chart data for Redonda, C-map only used the 1:500,000 and not the 1:90,000 chart data

So, as is common, on small scale charts - features are not precisely located on the 1:500,000 scale chart.., because you are supposed to use large scale charts for detailed navigation. The problem with the C-map charts is that as you zoom in on redonda, you never get a larger scale chart, because they didn't digitize it for redonda

i have attached links to three images

the first shows the location of redonda in C-map - at all zoom levels- (with a racenote around it) and another race note showing the actual location from NV charts 1:90,000

the next image is the NV charts 1:500,000 which shows the location of Redonda used by C-map for all zoom levels - they agree.

the next chart shows the location of Redonda on the 1:90,000 NV chart - the level that C-map failed to include. You can also see a racenote showing the only location of Rdeonda in the C-map

edit - well it looks like the image thing isn't working, but if you copy and pase the url you can see the images

Last edited by us7070 (2/11/2018 9:59 am)

Board footera