Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2015 12:46 pm  #1

The two wireless networks problem

Gents, this forum is a great idea.
We have two wireless networks:
1. A mobile phone router, Ericsson W25, largely used for internet purposes and connected to a navigation laptop via serial cable (the laptop is not wireless enabled);
2. A second wireless router for broadcasting to remote devices i.e. Ventus;
The problem is that since upgrading to Expedition 10.0.0.5, the default IP address for router 1 is replaced by the IP address for router 2 even before Expedition is loaded i.e. on startup.  This means no internet connectivity.  The only way to stop this is to disconnect router 2.
How to fix?

9/19/2015 1:14 pm  #2

Re: The two wireless networks problem

Nick added a fix in Expedition ver 10... just so you could use it in situations where you have more than one wireless network. Go into the Expedition network setting for Ventus and now you can enter the actual broadcast address of the router you want to use. Enter in the first 3 sets of the router address and in the last box enter 255.

See the Expedition help files or download the latest Ventus PRO manual from our website for more details. www.ventusnavigation.com/8.html

9/19/2015 2:14 pm  #3

Hmmm, I think this might be a different problem than you think.  The initial problem was created by going from Expedition 9.x.x to 10.0.0.5.  However, I'll do an audit of settings before we go further.
We have Expedition on a COM port, and Ventus would have to be on a Network port.  Increasing the number of ports simply adds additional Network ports, so Ports= 1 gives one COM port and one network port.  Under these circumstances, what's the right number of ports, one or two?
Cheers

9/19/2015 2:39 pm  #4

It doesn't have anything to do with the number of network ports. Starting in version 10.0.0.5 Expedition allows you to specify the address of the router you want to broadcast data to Ventus on. In the network you already have setup for Ventus you can now input the address of the router Exp will send the UDP data to.

In the past it always sent to the windows default address. Now if you don't specify the address it will send to the first address it finds. See the post below or read the latest help files in Expedition. In your case it is seeing your second router so all you need to do is input the address of the other router.

10/07/2015 9:29 pm  #5

It's important to adhere to the network class and subnet to provide the correct subnet mask. Case in point Greg Raines was experiencing connection issue and the problem lye in his WiFi was issuing a class b network so the default mask was for a class c, once we put nn.nn.255.255 for the net mask it could then connect.

10/13/2015 6:12 pm  #6

DuncanR wrote:

Gents, this forum is a great idea.
We have two wireless networks:
1. A mobile phone router, Ericsson W25, largely used for internet purposes and connected to a navigation laptop via serial cable (the laptop is not wireless enabled);
2. A second wireless router for broadcasting to remote devices i.e. Ventus;
The problem is that since upgrading to Expedition 10.0.0.5, the default IP address for router 1 is replaced by the IP address for router 2 even before Expedition is loaded i.e. on startup.  This means no internet connectivity.  The only way to stop this is to disconnect router 2.
How to fix?

Dunckie I'm now using a Telstra 4G USB dongle on AT that doubles as a wireless router so this sorta solves the "two networks" problem I believe.  $25 a month for 1Gb data.  Only problem now is that Julian has upgraded the plotter to a B&G Zeus and this is also a router...so  now we too have two wireless networks...

10/21/2015 12:00 am  #7

G'day
Changing the Expedition wireless connection from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.225 hasn't fixed the problem.  We still have intermttent dropout issues i.e.  the wireless connection stays but the Ericsson internet connection disappears "no internet".  I can fix the problem by unplugging the wireless connection, reconnecting to the internet, then re-plug the wireless router, and start again.  Hardly a great solution at sea.
Any other ideas? I'm tempted to disable the Ericsson wireless faunctionality, but I fear it may also disable the internet capability.
I have a screen grab of the Expedition settings, just haven't worked out to load it here.

Cheers

10/21/2015 4:04 am  #8

Duncan,You can email it to me, support@ventusnavigation.com. It soounds like it has helped some in that the problem only happens intermittinly now? Harry

Board footera