Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2016 4:18 pm  #1

expedition, B&G H5000, Go Free, intenet and AIS integration

A few questions re best way to integrate expedition with B&G 5000, go free, internet access and receive AIS information. I have the lap top running expedition interfaced to B&G 5000 via USB (comm port) using Hlink.The internet is accessed via lap top wifi connected to the on board wifi/internet gateway.To get AIS info to expedition I have to set up a connection to the gofree system. I have installed a USB wifi dongle to connect to the go free and set is up in expedition as per the expedition instructions (NMEA 0183, network 0).I am having trouble getting the lap top to support both the wifi connections simultaneously ie get AIS info when connected to go free but this drops the wifi connection to the gateway so no intenet access and visa versa.Any tips to get this working so both can run at same time. Is there a better way to do this. Does expedition get confused when info from B&G is received via Hlink and via the NMEA link to go free?

9/05/2016 5:25 pm  #2

Re: expedition, B&G H5000, Go Free, intenet and AIS integration

Why put AIS on WIFi?

A high speed NMEA0183/2000 network might serve you better

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

9/05/2016 7:40 pm  #3

Sheldon thanks for the reply.

Do you mean use a high speed NMEA0183/2000 network integration between B&G and expedition. Does this replace the Hlink connection? Will the NMEA 0183/2000 provide all the required information transfer including AIS between expedituion and B&G system.

9/05/2016 7:55 pm  #4

We are using the hlink with a h3000 system and get AIS from a Standard Horizon GX2150. The AIS output of the GX2150 is connected to the usb bus through a serial to usb converter. Both the Hlink and AIS are connected to a usb hub and then into the laptop, only one usb cable into the laptop. We have hlink on Com 5 and AIS on Com 7 in the laptop. The AIS output from the GX2150 is at a baud rate of 38400, so com 7 on the laptop has to be set to 38400. Then in Expedition set up com 7 to AIS. Just check which converter cable you need rs232 or rs422 to match with your AIS output.

9/06/2016 5:21 pm  #5

What Don said . Essentially a high speed AIS only network to USB. Exp deals with multiple com ports. I run NMEA2000 to my H5000 and Zeus2. Zeus2 will embed 0183 stream in Ethernet/wif, but I never tried to get AIS on Exp, as use Zeus for display.

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

9/06/2016 10:18 pm  #6

barwon79 wrote:

A few questions re best way to integrate expedition with B&G 5000, go free, internet access and receive AIS information. I have the lap top running expedition interfaced to B&G 5000 via USB (comm port) using Hlink.The internet is accessed via lap top wifi connected to the on board wifi/internet gateway.To get AIS info to expedition I have to set up a connection to the gofree system. I have installed a USB wifi dongle to connect to the go free and set is up in expedition as per the expedition instructions (NMEA 0183, network 0).I am having trouble getting the lap top to support both the wifi connections simultaneously ie get AIS info when connected to go free but this drops the wifi connection to the gateway so no intenet access and visa versa.Any tips to get this working so both can run at same time. Is there a better way to do this. Does expedition get confused when info from B&G is received via Hlink and via the NMEA link to go free?

Ok.. Two points

1) To get AIS data into expedition you either use a usb cable or get your Zeus 2 to relay it over Ethernet ( either wired or wireless works fine ). I make sure I only tick the ais sentences in the setup in expedition and everything else comes in from hlink.

2) if you are using the go free with a USB modem, both in default configuration, then chances are you have an IP address space problem as both will default to the same class c (192.168.0.0) addressing and the gofree system likes to be the default router. You can change the address space used on the gofree to a new network adress (192.168.10.0/24) for example and either remove the default router setting or set it to the address of your laptop with dongle..

Finally, the gofree does have the option to connect directly to a hotspot and allow the Zeus etc to use it as a gateway..after several chats with B&G I still never got that to work properly for all devices (I.e my laptop) on the network..

Board footera