Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2016 10:46 pm  #1

Actual Distance sailed

Hi Everyone,
I have several questions that relate to actual distance sailed.
1. Is it possible to see distance actually sailed from Mark X to current position rather than rhumbline distance?
2. Is it possible to track distance sailed in any 24hr period? ie: distance actually sailed from current time to previous 24hr period, as a running total.
Used Expedition aboard Pakala for my SHTP race this year, and the return trip from Kauai to Dana Point, starting 8/17. 
Thanks. -JB

Last edited by joe.barry (8/13/2016 10:52 pm)

-Joe Barry / Pakala / Express 37
Pakalaracing.wordpress.com

8/15/2016 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Actual Distance sailed

Not sure about 1, but for 2, you can do that by processing a log file in something like Excel, 
multiply your BSP x timestep increment to get distance and then sum it up. 
which would suggest you could create a variable that was BSP/3600 to get nm/sec for a 1 Hz update. 
Damping or sampling over longer intervals would probably be a good choice....

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

8/16/2016 12:10 pm  #3

Joe,
You might try a work-around by creating a Course/route using your hourly positions as 'points' then looking at the Summary for the Optimize Route results it would show the Route Distance and the Optimal Distance, which if you entered hourly points would be pretty close to distance sailed.

Or maybe it would be better if you were 'upstairs' trimming!  :-))
Cheers and good luck in the race!

8/17/2016 9:02 am  #4

joe.barry wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I have several questions that relate to actual distance sailed.
1. Is it possible to see distance actually sailed from Mark X to current position rather than rhumbline distance?
2. Is it possible to track distance sailed in any 24hr period? ie: distance actually sailed from current time to previous 24hr period, as a running total.
Used Expedition aboard Pakala for my SHTP race this year, and the return trip from Kauai to Dana Point, starting 8/17. 
Thanks. -JB

In Expedition do the following :

1) Find your log file if not already loaded in the Expedition Data files directory ( I put mine into Dropbox for post processing at home )
2) Hit the tools tab
3) Hit the Export KML/GPX
4) Select the log file you found from point 1
5) Select your destination file
6) Hit the process button

Depending on what format you choose you can use a wide range of tools to get the data you want ( Google Earth etc. 

Cheers

Paul

Board footera