Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2016 11:33 am  #1

Iridium & Globalstar Problem with Expedition & Windows 10

When I was buying Expedition to use on my small sail boat, the Expedition reseller told me that I needed a PC and needed to run Windows 10. I am a Mac user. So unhappily I bought a PC and Windows 10 and sent it to the reseller for him to install the Expedition. What I have subsequently found out is that neither Iridium not Globalstar will function with Windows 10, so that my Expedition as configured is of no value to me off shore. (Plus the Jessesen C-map has problems with Windows 10 as well.) With a small sailboat I don't have the sophisticated internet connection that a big motor yacht might have, so I fear that my Expedition is useless off shore. I say I'm unhappy is an understatement. I fear that I was mislead by a reseller, not for his personal gain, but because he was not sufficiently informed as to off shore communications for smaller boats. You'd think he would known and should have known. I'm into this for nearly $3,000!  YUCK!!!

6/30/2016 4:13 pm  #2

Re: Iridium & Globalstar Problem with Expedition & Windows 10

That totally stinks though, it sounds like a problem for irridum / globalstar and not for expedition.  

are you using the USB connection?  looks like Iridium is aware of the issue https://sailmail.com/iridium-9555-and-9575-extreme-phones-and-windows-10-driver-problem/

You may be able to downgrade the machine to windows 7 by doing a clean installation.

7/01/2016 12:08 am  #3

Iridium and Globalstar are both providers rather than physical units - what is the device you are trying to connect with?

Many of us are running Windows 10 with no issues (including using an iridium satphone in my case) but there are a few ongoing driver issues so a downgrade to Win 7 as Justin suggests might be your best bet. My first step would be to contact your satphone supplier and see what suggestions they have. 

7/01/2016 12:59 am  #4

The issue occurs with Beam dock products as well. The Win 10 usbser.sys driver crashes (a lot), it's been outstanding for some time and there doesn't appear to have been any progress made. 

I'd left the Win10 upgrade too long and could not back it out without a re-installation  so I resolved it with a VM running on Oracles Virtual Box. I chose a lightweight Linux distro but there's no reason why you couldn't run Windows 7.

7/03/2016 1:23 pm  #5

Long story short I had lots of problems with instrument interfacing with an old Win7 laptop (which I couldn't do a clean build on for other reasons). I tried running a Win10 VM using VMWare on my Mac - it works fine, including HLink to the B&G, the USB Dongle for CMap and a USB connection into an NMEA 0183 Multiplexor. The only thing that doesn't work is the Hardware encrypted USB key containing the UK raster charts from VMH - probably not an issue for you. I'm sure a clean win7 build with the right device drivers will work under a VM, and then you can use your Mac... Using VMWare you can share a folder between the VM and the Mac so if your comms works OK on the Mac you can write the results to a spot that Exp can read easily.

Ultimately I'll use a dedicated Win10 laptop in order to use the VMH charts, but in the mean time the VM works fine.  

Board footera